Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

anyone heard of the Tranzilla T56 rebuilds? I got one and ????

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 05:57 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question anyone heard of the Tranzilla T56 rebuilds? I got one and ????

I just got BONED on buying a used 99 Z28 and it basically needs everythingbut i aint giving up on this car...anyways i had to shell out $3200 for a new tranny. well, not new..was $2400 for the transmission and another $800 to put it in. The transmission which is from Rockland Standard Gear and its called a "tranzilla" part number is t56-017.
http://www.rsgear.com/products/trans...tranzilla.aspx

i was wondering if anyone is familiar with these guys who make these transmissons. The shop that did the work charged me $3200 out the door which yea, i got boned...but where i live this is normal..anyways anyone ever heard of these trannsmissons??? I only found out it was a Tranzilla from the data plate on the side..

so far its pretty gnarly, clutchless upshifts, heel toeing is no problem, almost feels like straight cut gears..i got some info on what was done and they told me 650 wheel hp shouldn't be a problem for the transmission...
Old 10-27-2012, 06:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

http://www.rsgear.com/products/trans...tranzilla.aspx
theres also multiple discussions here on tech about them.
Old 10-27-2012, 06:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would not recomend full throttle clutchless shifting if you want the synchros to live.

Mike
Old 10-28-2012, 09:50 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes, the tranzilla trannies are pretty badass and will hold up to a lot. but like said i would not do clutchless shifting or even no lift shifts for that matter because of how hard it is on the synchros. Just get really good and shifting as fast and you can using the clutch the synchros will thank you
Old 10-28-2012, 11:47 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Who the hell does clutchless shifting?
The following users liked this post:
Bengtson95 (04-19-2021)
Old 10-28-2012, 12:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have a buddy who has a 05 GTO, running around 550+ hp who had the "transzilla" he can't stop talking about it. The guy constantly take the car to the strip maybe a dozen times a month and has no issues. Had this done years ago.

But living in rockland and having the shop down the street there was no reason not to try it. I will be doing it when the fund are available.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MyFirstLS1
I have a buddy who has a 05 GTO, running around 550+ hp who had the "transzilla" he can't stop talking about it. The guy constantly take the car to the strip maybe a dozen times a month and has no issues. Had this done years ago.

But living in rockland and having the shop down the street there was no reason not to try it. I will be doing it when the fund are available.
i hear ya. Its a nasty tranny, I mean, the total bill for this thing was over $3,000.(2500 for the trans, 800 labor..)and well, the labor sucked but the price is well worth it. I know clutchless upshifts are bad mmkay but damn its easy with this trans. its like a straight cut transmission, like the Jerico 4 speeds they use in all out road racing. (read nascar) heel toe downshifting is so much easier although the gas pedal in these cars are too damn far away to get good control with your foot..wondering if someone sells a gas pedal pad with a spot for heel toe capability. anyways...only thing that sucks is i got the stock master cylinder still in the car and its hardcore hindering the speed i can shift. i dont want to spend $300 on a Tick, and i dont want to do the "drill mod" simply because i dont trust myself. Im wondering if Slohawks here in Mass. would do that mod...
and no i dont upshift without the clutch, only reason I sometimes have to is the clutch release point is way way close to the floor, sucks....
Old 10-30-2012, 08:46 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

as we all said avoid clutch less shifting at all costs or it will damage the tranny. if the clutch is relasing close to the floor it could be the clutch but most likely its the stock master causing the issue. the drill mod will help but there is no sub for the tick master, by the time you pony up the cash to have someone do the drill mod you could buy the tick mc and just bolt it in yourself.
Old 06-08-2019, 06:02 PM

Default Transmission

This tranzilla transmissions only sell transmissions or can you send yours there to have it rebuilt?
Old 06-08-2019, 07:30 PM
8 Second Club

Received 944 Likes on 700 Posts

Originally Posted by Tommy Nason
This tranzilla transmissions only sell transmissions or can you send yours there to have it rebuilt?
You can send yours in, they do a good job. Mine felt beat, got it back and felt like a million bucks.
Old 06-09-2019, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by SLOW SEDAN
You can send yours in, they do a good job. Mine felt beat, got it back and felt like a million bucks.
if I have it rebuilt through tranzilla do they put their tag and parts number on it or do they leave the original numbers on the transmission?
Old 06-09-2019, 10:35 AM
8 Second Club

Received 944 Likes on 700 Posts

Originally Posted by Tommy Nason
if I have it rebuilt through tranzilla do they put their tag and parts number on it or do they leave the original numbers on the transmission?
Mine as well as others I’ve seen that used existing case that was sent in they just epoxy the transzilla tag to it like below and case remains how it was otherwise.
Old 06-09-2019, 11:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

If you don't want to do the drill mod yourself, take it to a good shop. I had mine done years ago, it is totally worth the effort and hassle to do it!

Quick Reply: anyone heard of the Tranzilla T56 rebuilds? I got one and ????