Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 Help - No reverse when hot

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 10:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default T56 Help - No reverse when hot

Here’s the situation…my transmission shifts into reverse just fine when it’s cold and I can even drive 50 miles on the expressway (as long as I’m easy on it) and the car will still go into reverse when I stop. My problem occurs when I beat on the car. I don’t have to bang through the gears or anything, just rip through one or two gears and the transmission refuses to go into reverse when I stop. The lockout solenoid is activating allowing me to push the shifter to the right but I cannot push it forward to get into reverse. The other gears work just fine and it doesn’t help putting it into first gear and then trying reverse. It also doesn’t help if I turn the car off and try putting it into reverse.

Here’s my setup:
Stock T56 in my 1999 Z28
LS7 Clutch (approx 10,000 miles on it)
Newer OEM slave cylinder (put in with LS7 clutch)
Tick Master Cylinder
Few upgraded internals (1-2 and 3-4 billet keys and bronze pads, 3-4 steel shift fork, Carbon fiber blockers, etc) – approx 15,000 miles

I never had any issues before adding more power (Huron Speed turbo kit). I think the issue is heat related because it starts to shift fine again if I let the car sit for a few hours. I’m not sure if the heat is being generated by friction (overpowering the clutch) or if it has something to do with my turbo downpipe ending near the transmission.

Has anyone experienced something similar to this? I have never disassembled a T56 myself so I do not know all of the components and their proper names but is it possible that heat could cause the shift rail to expand causing the reverse fork to bind?

My car is currently in storage for the winter months but I would like to get this figured out. My plan is to change the trans fluid again (current fluid has 5,000 miles on it) and add more pipe to my exhaust to keep the heat away from the transmission. Is there anything else I should consider? Anything else internal to the trans that could cause this?

Quick Reply: T56 Help - No reverse when hot