Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch problem, high pedal engagement and slippage, Textralia OZ700 XX grip

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 12:41 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Clutch problem, high pedal engagement and slippage, Textralia OZ700 XX grip

Gday all,

Approximately 2 years ago, i purchased a Textralia OZ700 XX grip single plate clutch package to be installed in my 2002 HSV Maloo R8. At the time of installation, the slave (OEM), TOB and input shaft bearing was replaced. I have also cleaned the master cylinder reservoir and replaced the fluid every 5000km. The clutch was initially great, however after some time (10,000km +) it started to slip a little and the clutch pedal height increased to the point where the clutch engagement point was at the top of the pedal stroke, approx 25mm+ above the standing height of the brake pedal. It is now at the point where if i am on a slight hill and try to take off, the clutch bearly grips and is very slippery, there is no bite.

I assumed that the clutch had worn out resulting in the slippage and increased pedal engagement height, therefore conceded to remove the clutch for a rebuild as the ute is not very fun or practical to drive in this state.

I have just removed the gearbox and clutch to inspect. To me, it does not look all that bad, there is a few small hot spots on the flywheel and pressure plate contact surfaces, but nothing excessive, there also appears to be a fair bit of material left on the disc. The slave cylinder appears to be moist at the front end with a lot of sludge build up. See photos attached.

I am yet to assemble the clutch and measure the bench stack height, i have contacted Textralia Australia but no response as yet. Does anyone have these figures and allowable tolerances??

Any comments on clutch condition, slave condition (leakages??) and a reason why the enagement point of the clutch is so high that it basically feels like the TOB is naturally on the pressure plate fingers??
I have considered that it wasnt bled properly but there were no other symptoms to suggest that there was air in the system. So id like to investiagate all possible options whilst the clutch is out prior to re-installing and finding it is exaclty the same.

I tried a search for a similar issue but could explicitly find what i was after.

Thanks

255-LS1
Attached Thumbnails Clutch problem, high pedal engagement and slippage, Textralia OZ700 XX grip-p2220394-large-.jpg   Clutch problem, high pedal engagement and slippage, Textralia OZ700 XX grip-p2220395-large-.jpg   Clutch problem, high pedal engagement and slippage, Textralia OZ700 XX grip-p2220399-large-.jpg   Clutch problem, high pedal engagement and slippage, Textralia OZ700 XX grip-p2220405-large-.jpg   Clutch problem, high pedal engagement and slippage, Textralia OZ700 XX grip-p2220408-large-.jpg  

Clutch problem, high pedal engagement and slippage, Textralia OZ700 XX grip-p2220403-large-.jpg   Clutch problem, high pedal engagement and slippage, Textralia OZ700 XX grip-p2220410-large-.jpg   Clutch problem, high pedal engagement and slippage, Textralia OZ700 XX grip-p2220411-large-.jpg   Clutch problem, high pedal engagement and slippage, Textralia OZ700 XX grip-p2220404-large-.jpg   Clutch problem, high pedal engagement and slippage, Textralia OZ700 XX grip-p2220407-large-.jpg  

Old 02-27-2013, 01:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The clutch looks pretty good as long as it's still flat. The slaves are known to not be all that reliable. Sadly the only real option is just put in another one. What color was the fluid when you took it apart?

You may want to consider having the flywheel machined.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:21 PM
Teching In

Gday mate

I will be replacing the slave, is this likely to have been my problem? If the slave was faulty, how would this prevent pedal from residing in its usual position.
When i clean the master res. out every 5000km, it is always very dark with some think bits in it, no photos sorry, does this suggest a faulty slave or faulty master cyl?

I will consider getting a lick taken off the flywheel to clean up.

cheers
Old 03-07-2013, 07:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Sounds like the master is locking fluid in the line not letting the slave retract when the pedal is released. I've had this happen numerous times. Check the t/o bearing before installing everything back in. If it has been driven for awhile like this then the bearing has been spinning a lot w/ constant pressure on p/p fingers.

Quick Reply: Clutch problem, high pedal engagement and slippage, Textralia OZ700 XX grip