LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Manual Transmission (https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-transmission-14/)
-   -   2000 WS6 M6 Transmission Fluid (https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-transmission/1629388-2000-ws6-m6-transmission-fluid.html)

axlrose 03-08-2013 03:12 PM

2000 WS6 M6 Transmission Fluid

I'm doing some research and getting really mixed results. If I change the fluids what should I use?

Alot of what I've seen says Dexron 3 only. All I can find in the is Valvoline and Penzoil. Is that ok?

I've also read don't ever use synthetic. Amsoil ATF says it's Dexron 3 compliant but it's synthetic, so it's all confusing.

ls1 1990 VN 03-09-2013 12:54 AM

Purists & sheep will always say to use what is stated in the manual or sticker on the box.
Others have mates who have heard or know people that are in the 'know' & it's gospel that only what is written is to be used, 'yea right'
I use Redline Synthetic, know where near as notchy as dexron, plenty of other quality synthetics out there. :)

redbird555 03-09-2013 06:17 AM

t56's have paper blocker rings stock which dont like synthetic due to being too slippery and not allowing them to work correctly. however companies like mobil 1 and redline claim their synthetics will work with stock t56's and I have not heard with people having a problem with either. My tranny was built and has carbon blocker rings so I can run synthetic..

With that said I run redline d4 and love it. It shifts lifht-years smoother than the mobil dex 3 atf I had in it and also better than the dino castrol atf. I had synchromesh for a while and that was probably the best out of the dino oils...

SteveWs6 03-09-2013 08:05 AM

I have used Castrol Dex III and ended up switching to Valvoline High Mileage Dex III (It was the only Valvoline trans fluid they had)

Anyways I really like the Valvoline so far. Seems to be smoother than the Castrol. I may try out Redline next, but this was cost-efficient and readily available at a time that I needed it then and there.

Depending on where you're from, a lot of guys like the Synchromesh but state that it is not good in cold weather, at least until it is completely warmed up.

dailydriver 03-09-2013 01:06 PM

Sam Strano, a national class/champion autocrosser has about 250K daily driven and a-x/track miles on his E Street Prepared class 99's T56, and he has used Red Line D4 since day one, despite having the notorious cellulose composite blocker rings in his gearbox, with NO problems whatsoever.

So take that into consideration. ;)

That being said, I have had HORRID results from trying Royal Purple's Synchromax fluid (grinding/balkiness in EVERY gear), whereas others on here swear by the stuff, so go figure. :confused:

stevo92z28 03-09-2013 07:21 PM

I like M1 ATF. It's what i will continue to use after break-in with my upgraded T56. I also like being able to buy it from a parts store.

beyonddisturbed 03-09-2013 10:29 PM

Synchromesh here. No issues. Seems smoother than before though i am not sure how long it had been since the fluid was changed.

_JB_ 03-10-2013 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by axlrose (Post 17212102)
I'm doing some research and getting really mixed results. If I change the fluids what should I use?

Alot of what I've seen says Dexron 3 only. All I can find in the is Valvoline and Penzoil. Is that ok?

I've also read don't ever use synthetic. Amsoil ATF says it's Dexron 3 compliant but it's synthetic, so it's all confusing.

I know my car has had Amsoil in the transmission for at least 8 years and never had a problem.

SSCamaro99_3 03-11-2013 01:07 PM

01-02 has the upgraded carbon blocker rings, and are not synthetic fluid sensative when compared to 98-00.

dr_whigham 03-11-2013 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by SSCamaro99_3 (Post 17219401)
01-02 has the upgraded carbon blocker rings, and are not synthetic fluid sensative when compared to 98-00.

That's something I did NOT know. My trans was a Jasper replacement from 2006. I wonder what they rebuilt it with?

I used the black bottle Castrol Transmax Dex/Merc in mine. I've only got about 1200 miles on it but it does feel notchier than the old stuff I drained.

SteveWs6 03-11-2013 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by dr_whigham (Post 17219503)
I used the black bottle Castrol Transmax Dex/Merc in mine. I've only got about 1200 miles on it but it does feel notchier than the old stuff I drained.

+1 That's what I used before I switched to Valvoline HM ATF and I agree that the Castrol felt notchy. I also needed to re bleed my clutch but I felt like that trans fluid was definitely not as smooth as my current Valvoline.

dr_whigham 03-11-2013 07:06 PM

Maybe I'll try that then. I just want to exhaust all efforts with "off the shelf" products before I go out and order anything.

SteveWs6 03-11-2013 07:57 PM

I've been pleased with it, but I also have only been driving on it for about a week. If you do use it I hope that my advice has helped and doesn't steer you wrong!

SSCamaro99_3 03-12-2013 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by dr_whigham (Post 17219503)
That's something I did NOT know. My trans was a Jasper replacement from 2006. I wonder what they rebuilt it with?

Read a lot of things over my 10 years on here. Remember when making 400 rwhp cam only was uncommon. As these cars age, alot of the year to year differences are lost or buried so far on the site, they are hard to find.