Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Monster Level 2 & MGW Install Review

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 11:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Monster Level 2 & MGW Install Review

Let me start off by saying this is a positive review of both products and I couldn't be happier. The install was done at my buddy's shop and took us about 5 hours from start to finish. Everything in the Monster kit was top notch and the instructions were very useful.

The hardest part of the install was getting the OEM pilot bearing out and realigning the trans with the bell housing on re-installation. Both took some patience but can be done.

I also purchased a tick speed bleeder and let me tell you this thing is worth its weight in gold. It made bleeding the clutch literally a 5 minute job. My clutch fluid looked like black coffee before the bleed and the peace of mind knowing I can bleed the clutch at any time is awesome!

Per the pictures below I was shocked to see the hot spots on both the pressure plate and flywheel! The disk looked almost brand new but there was no way the pressure plate and flywheel would have lasted another 1k miles. I really cant believe the clutch didn't slip on acceleration. This is a good example for anyone considering a clutch swap from OEM.

Initial Drive:
The clutch pedal pressure has definitely increased over stock. It is not too bad where my leg gets tired, but it is very noticeable. The clutch grabs a lot lower than stock which I am getting used to but the engagement is like butter and it grabs hard.

The MGW shifter compliments the new clutch very well because of the rigidity. It would feel very awkward having a sloppy shifter and a stiff clutch. I honestly can't put into words how nice the MGW is but it makes a world of a difference in how the car drives. I read a lot of people had to get used to the location of the gears with the MGW, but that was not an issue for me what so ever. Every gear feels natural in where its located and makes for an awesome driving experience.

So in the end, I feel the cost for both kits is definitely justified and if anyone is debating on which clutch/shifter to go with I would highly recommend the Monster Level 2 and MGW.

Now, I just cant wait for the break-in to be over!!!

Ugly LS6

Rear Engine Shot

Look at all the hot spots/scouring

Same scouring on the flywheel

Ls6 Disk- Looks great

Beautiful Monster Segmented Kevlar Disk

Monster Pressure Plate installed

Comparison between factory Hurst and MGW

MGW is about 3" shorter installed. Looks great with the Hurst ****

Last edited by 455GTO; 03-18-2013 at 12:11 PM.
Old 03-18-2013, 11:51 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice install I want a stage 2 pretty badly but school just won't allow the funds right now. Do you notice any chatter with the clutch on smooth take off
Old 03-18-2013, 12:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by redbird555
Nice install I want a stage 2 pretty badly but school just won't allow the funds right now. Do you notice any chatter with the clutch on smooth take off
I hear yah, a clutch and install are pretty pricey but so worth it in the end... I feel/hear zero chatter when taking off. I can feel the clutch grab a lot more aggressively than before which is a nice feeling. The Ws6 store has an everyday price of $649 for the level 2 premium kit. I opted for the tick speed bleeder($50 bux) and with new bolts, the total was $720 to my door.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ya when I did my m6 swap funds were running low so I just went with a stock clutch. I already have a tick and the slave has a lifetime warranty so ill probably just swap that for a new one when I do the clutch. I literally only need the kit, next time mister does a crazy special I may just go for it and opt for the lighter flywheel to reduce some rotating mass
Old 03-18-2013, 12:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And did you weigh anything?
Old 03-18-2013, 12:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by slow ride 02
Had no scale at the shop or at the house. I did look though!
Old 03-18-2013, 12:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Did you order the MGW shifter directly from MGW, or do other vendors carry them? My Monster Stage 3 with Tick hydrolics will arrive today, so a MGW will top everything off.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
Did you order the MGW shifter directly from MGW, or do other vendors carry them? My Monster Stage 3 with Tick hydrolics will arrive today, so a MGW will top everything off.
Yes, I ordered directly from MGW. I did some searching and I dont think they have any vendors... IMHO the MGW will tie everything together perfectly... I did like my stock Hurst shifter for what is was worth. But with the new found firmness of the clutch, the MGW shifter is almost a must. The shifts just fall into gear with ZERO searching for gears... Its one of those things you just have to experience to really appreciate the feel.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:04 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 455GTO
Had no scale at the shop or at the house. I did look though!
Who doesnt have a bathroom scale? 455GTO that's who...

On a side note. My now ex wife once wanted me to get her something that went from 0 to 200 in less 10 seconds for her birthday. So I bought her a bathroom scale
Old 03-18-2013, 01:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 455GTO
Yes, I ordered directly from MGW. I did some searching and I dont think they have any vendors... IMHO the MGW will tie everything together perfectly... I did like my stock Hurst shifter for what is was worth. But with the new found firmness of the clutch, the MGW shifter is almost a must. The shifts just fall into gear with ZERO searching for gears... Its one of those things you just have to experience to really appreciate the feel.
Thanks man. Do you know off hand which MGW option (thread pattern) is needed to keep your existing shift ****. I think I may go ahead and do the Vette gripper **** with the MGW shifter, but not 100% sure.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
Thanks man. Do you know off hand which MGW option (thread pattern) is needed to keep your existing shift ****. I think I may go ahead and do the Vette gripper **** with the MGW shifter, but not 100% sure.
iirc, 16mm threads is the stock setting. I also debated a corvette ****, but ended up going with a billet aluminum firebird engraved **** from WS6 store. Combo looks sick!
Old 03-18-2013, 01:55 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Rare96LT1Formula
iirc, 16mm threads is the stock setting. I also debated a corvette ****, but ended up going with a billet aluminum firebird engraved **** from WS6 store. Combo looks sick!
This is correct. If you want to use the OEM ****, 16mm is the correct thread size.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:47 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn glad to hear you're enjoying your new clutch!

Keep us posted on how it is when the break in is done!

Thanks again for the support.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:48 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Who doesnt have a bathroom scale? 455GTO that's who...

On a side note. My now ex wife once wanted me to get her something that went from 0 to 200 in less 10 seconds for her birthday. So I bought her a bathroom scale
I shot you a pm, just shoot me an email with all your weight questions and I'll be more than happy to go over it all with you.

Quick Reply: Monster Level 2 & MGW Install Review