Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 Mainshaft Small Bearing Stuck

Old 04-08-2013, 03:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question T56 Mainshaft Small Bearing Stuck

Im in the middle of trying to fix this transmission. So far i open the case and bearing piece fall out. The input shaft bearing is in pieces and the mainshaft bearing the small one that the input shaft rests on is basicly gone and best i can tell whats left of it is left on there. Im having trouble getting it off. Is there and tips on a easy way of removing it without taking the whole trans apart?
Attached Thumbnails T56 Mainshaft Small Bearing Stuck-resizedimage_1365386812318.jpg   T56 Mainshaft Small Bearing Stuck-resizedimage_1365386828370.jpg  
Old 04-08-2013, 04:20 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I don't think anyone is interested in leading you down the path to an incomplete repair.
Old 04-08-2013, 05:08 PM
Teching In

well ive checked everything else ive taken the back part off to check the gears and no wear or chipping this bearing is all i need to replace. Id like to save some time and work if i could
Old 04-09-2013, 08:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You should be concerned at what caused the bearing distress. This is the pocket bearing. There are two classic ways this is worn out. One is operation with low/ no or extremely poor quality oil. The second is with poor alignment of the bell to the engine. This second cause will take out the new bearing in the same fashion if not addressed. As to the rebuild. The heat generated in this bearing distress can inertia weld the inner cone of the bearing to the mainshaft....you may not be able to get it off. Also the race or outer cup that is in the input shaft stretches ane distorts the pocket bore of the input shaft....you may/ should replace both the mainshaft and the input shaft. Simply installing new bearing components on distorted parts is not going to fix this.This type of bearing problem is quite expensive to fix which is why I point out correcting the major causes before it happens again.
Good luck
Old 04-09-2013, 07:34 PM
Teching In

thanks i got into it and also noticed the other bearing on the bottom shaft had a crack in it so ill have to replace it also, im going to take it to a transmission shop outta town tommorow and let them look at it and tell me what they can do
Old 04-22-2013, 05:12 PM
Teching In

finally heard from the tranny shop. The guy who had the trans before ran the trans out of fluid they said it was basically burned up. So now gotta research a rebuild or buying another one

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: T56 Mainshaft Small Bearing Stuck