Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

recipe for 406sbc T56 without adapters?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 03:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default recipe for 406sbc T56 without adapters?

I have an external balanced 406sbc which is limiting my flywheel options for mating my new LS1 T56 to it but I think I have comeup with a recipe that I have not seen yet.

-2 peice mear main block (flywheel mounting surface is .400 further from block than LS1)
-bellhousing pattern is the same for 5 of the 6 bolts so they can be bolted together without an adaping spacer as long as clutch clearances can be worked out.
- from what I have gathered, an LS1 flywheel is around .815-.870 thick.
- SBC flywheel is typically .850-.960 thick so chalk it up to about .100" difference. Together with the .400" from the crank mounting distance we are up to .500" less distance between the pressure plate mounting surface and the transmission.
- In this thread, (please see post #8 for the pictures) https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...questions.html it looks like the difference between the LS1 slave and the CTS-V slave is around .5" maybe greater.

With the posslibe addition of a spacer or 2 behind the slave cylinder, does this look like a feasible plan? I will be using an 11" clutch and diaphram pressure plate designed for a BBC with 26 spline disc since I cannot find the correct flywheel to allow me to bolt an LS1 style clutch to a sbc 168t flywheel.

The only part I can see posibly possing a problem is the engagement of the splines on the clutch disc because it will be operating roughly .500" closer to the trans than it would have behind an LS1 (made possible by the shorter CTS-V slave. Can anyone confirm if this will or wont work? Anyone know the thickness of the spacer normally used behind the slave in question? or the compress height of an LS1 slave?

thanks

Last edited by stangslayer; 04-16-2013 at 09:39 AM. Reason: incorrect referencing
Old 04-16-2013, 12:23 AM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Usually, an LS1 (2002 F or GTO) trans. with it's original bellhousing & slave needs spaced away from a SBC to operate a Gen I push clutch. With you saying a spacer behind the slave is the answer which contradicts that, you're going to want to measure some more at the parts store rather than online. No offense. I love this stuff and you're on the right track, but the most accurate person to mock it up is you.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:53 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I take it you're wanting to use a hydraulic clutch system? There's an adapter plate/spacer that allows a ls t56 to bolt up to gen1 bell and use all the gen 1 flywheel/clutch/TOB. I'm using this on my C10, but utilizing the mechanical linkage I already have. You could maybe fab up a mount for an external slave to use with the gen 1 push style fork?
Old 04-16-2013, 09:37 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jmd
Usually, an LS1 (2002 F or GTO) trans. with it's original bellhousing & slave needs spaced away from a SBC to operate a Gen I push clutch. With you saying a spacer behind the slave is the answer which contradicts that, you're ....
The space needed for the gen 1 clutch should be provided by using a shorter cts-V slave cyl in theory. I checked several parts places near me but no one stocks the slave for an CTS-V. If this works, instead of a $200 adapter, I should only need a pack of slave cyl. shims that I might mave needed anyways if I went with the $200 adapter.

This picture is taken from the link I posted above.
CTS-V slave on left, LS7 slave on right

Last edited by stangslayer; 04-16-2013 at 09:58 AM.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:57 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jmm98LS1
I take it you're wanting to use a hydraulic clutch system? There's an adapter plate/spacer that allows a ls t56 to bolt up to gen1 bell and use all the gen 1 flywheel/clutch/TOB. I'm using this on my C10, but utilizing the mechanical linkage I already have. You could maybe fab up a mount for an external slave to use with the gen 1 push style fork?
Your correct. I have modified my headers to fit closer to the engine to fit this application (87 rx7) and am doubtful I have room for an external slave. If this doesnt pan out I will have no choice but to buy the adapter and go the tried and true method.

Anyone know the thickness of the spacer required on the CTS-v slave to bring it up to the same as the LS7? Is the LS7 the same height as an LS1 slave?

Quick Reply: recipe for 406sbc T56 without adapters?