Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

started rebuilding my t56

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 04:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default started rebuilding my t56

I got my t56 all torn down out of my supercharged 6.0 swap 98 Z28. I paid 1k to have it rebuilt but it wasn't done right and had issues from the get go including jumping out of first and third ,problems it never had before they "rebuilt" it and ultimately started to grind in third and fourth. And unfortunately getting stuck in third after 20k miles.
I informed The shop that did it when it started jumping out of gear right away and he said it was a shimming problem why it was jumping out of gear and said he would fix it. They closed went out of business and not only didn't fix my Z28 trans but kept my Gto t56 they were rebuilding!! So i ran for 20k at least but now its worse so here i am.
Anyways now I'm building myself it has a bad 3-4 slider assembly for the synchros and sheered the synchro keys in the process explaining it being stuck in gear. The synchro spring was also out in the 3-4 assembly. The gears are all good and the blocker ring is also worn on 3-4.
I'm gonna do all blocker rings for synchros 1-2 3-4 5-6 reverse, billet keys and springs for 1-2 and 3-4, Bronze shift pads for 1-2 3-4, new seals, a new synchro assembly for 3-4, a bronze shifter saddle cup, and maybe the input shaft the synchro teeth are a little hurt on it hopefully can be used gonna get some opinions.

Last edited by BlwnZ28; 08-20-2013 at 04:44 PM.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If its been beat , clashed and jumping out of gear that long, you will not be salvaging those gears.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by calhoon
If its been beat , clashed and jumping out of gear that long, you will not be salvaging those gears.
when i first got it back from rebuild it would only jump out of first with out a hand on it but shifted all gears good and then later on jumped third only a few times I took it easy as possible during normal driving and didn't use third hardly ever before removing it. after some more miles it got worse and once it started clashing I stopped using those gears and now pulled trans, it actually got stuck in third parked, the gears look fine except the synchro teeth on my input shaft 4th gear look hurt. I took some care to try not to hurt it worse and its not to bad inside the 3-4 synchro assembly is definitely bad and I thought third gear would be bad but it looks decent I'll post some pics could use some second opinions.

Last edited by BlwnZ28; 08-22-2013 at 09:43 AM.
Old 08-22-2013, 09:49 AM

also I'm going to check the endplay on the countershaft and main shaft as the guy that built it said he thought that was the original problem although he was full of bs and he shimmed it. According to the manual not enough countershaft preload can cause the trans to jump out. Of course so can worn synchros but it started doing that with new parts after being rebuilt and never did that before. so hopefully with new synchros and reshimmed will correct the problems. probably gonna have to replace the 4th gear/input shaft also

Last edited by BlwnZ28; 08-22-2013 at 09:55 AM.

Quick Reply: started rebuilding my t56