Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

3th Gear, high rpm shifting issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 11:18 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 3th Gear, high rpm shifting issues

I have 2002 SS with ceramic coated headers and high rpm shifting issues.

I got on it on up to 4th gear and all was good until my 3-4 shift. It got difficult but went into gear. After that it acts like it is slipping toward the top of 4th(no slip in lower gears) and I got a STIFF clutch pedal. I think I still have a fluid boil issue.

I wrapped my clutch line with header wrap and heater hose outside that. I have a tick master and fresh ATE Super blue inside.

With normal driving everything feels just fine.

Slave, master, and clutch all have about 30,000 miles on them.

I think I need some better clutch fluid in there.
Old 11-05-2013, 02:20 PM
TECH Resident

Car finally broke down. I lost fluid in the master cylinder reservoir so I know I have a hydraulic leak. My Tick MC has 34k on it and the same for the SC. I'm thinking the SC is what blew. I seem to keep having hydraulic issues every 34k-40k miles. I'm wondering if my pressure plate is getting weak around that time too.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:25 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What clutch and how much power are you making? Also where is your clutch pedal adjusted to your brake pedal, just want to make sure you're not overextending the slave.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:12 PM
TECH Resident

This issue of low clutch and/or hydraulics life seems to happen with stock mc's and the tick mc.

I was using a southbend 638lb/ft clutch for my 362rwtq car. This might have been part of the problem.

My adjustment on my tick mc... It seems like it sits just a little above the brake pedal.

The way I adjusted it is car running, clutch in and held, shift to 1st while still holding clutch pedal to floor, rev to 4500-5000rpm and hold. If I noticed the car moving forward while on a flat surface, then adjust the pedal out half a turn.

I feel like I found that fine line because I stopped on the exact half turn that stopped the car from moving. Also, I noticed my clutch fluid stayed clean after that. Before the change in turns on the pedal, the fluid would get DARK quickly.

Last edited by 7camaro7; 11-08-2013 at 08:42 AM.
Old 11-09-2013, 12:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The clutch pedal being just a bit higher than the brake pedal seems to be the concensus across the board for what most people have it set to across the forums, myself included. I can't imagine you having fluid boiling issues, especially with having the Tick hydraulic line, wrapped, and Super blue fluid. Usually the clutch pedal gets soft/spongey on people. I don't think I can remember anyone ever saying the pedal getting stiff on them.

Quick Reply: 3th Gear, high rpm shifting issues