Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Stage 2 Tick rebuild T-56 issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 10:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stage 2 Tick rebuild T-56 issues

Hello! I recently had my T-56 done by Tick with stage 2 rebuild as well as replacement of a host of recommended parts inside. After around 250 miles on the car now almost impossible to get in reverse and most times cant get into first gear. If the car is off the trans will pop easily into any gear I want. While running, not so much. All other shifts when driving are perfect. I replaced the Slave and pilot bearing when it was out of the car. Could this be a clutch problem or being only 2 gears affected is it the trans again? Any info appreciated, as I don't claim to know much about clutch / trans. Thanks
Old 10-27-2013, 11:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm assuming you bled the fluid when you had the trans out? Stock master or Tick master?
Old 10-27-2013, 11:35 AM

Stock master. Work was all done by a local race shop. They are real good so assuming they bled it. I had no issues for about 250 miles so, I would think the thing was bled and adjusted properly. A buddy of mine, (not an expert) says he is relatively sure it is in the trans because the clutch would cause issues in all gears...
Old 10-27-2013, 12:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

clutch or hydraulics....
Old 10-27-2013, 02:02 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by trick73
almost impossible to get in reverse and most times cant get into first gear.
Originally Posted by trick73
because the clutch would cause issues in all gears...
Which is what is happening.
So:
Originally Posted by dgcustomz
clutch or hydraulics....
This.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:56 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jmd
Which is what is happening.
So:

This.
Skip-shift is not hooked up. Its a plug on the side of the transmission.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:19 AM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

What master cylinder do you have installed?
Old 11-12-2013, 10:05 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not going into gear smoothly when the engine is running, but it goes into gear good when the engine is off is a definite clutch or hydraulic issue. It doesn't show up as much when changing gears as the car rolls down the road.....but it would show up if you did some really high rpm shifts.

Did you read the install guide that came with the transmission? Its been a long time since I wrote that, but it would pretty much outline what happens with faulty hydraulics...and how important new hydraulics and a good master is with performance aftermarket clutches (or LS7 clutches in 4th gen f-bodies and c5 vettes).

What clutch do you have? Did you install the clutch at the same time the transmission was installed? Is it a RAM? Mcleod Twin? LS7?

Depending on what clutch you have, our master would likely clear up your issue. We built if for these exact issues. I can assure you the transmission isn't bad...but if you continue to drive and shift it with these issues you will have transmission problems soon.
Old 11-13-2013, 04:35 PM

Thanks Jonathan. I just spoke with Martin and he was giving me some insight. At this point, the trans is out of the car and we replaced the master, unfortunately not a Tick, but will prob end up ordering one. However, my guy is saying the bearing is bad, but I just replaced it as it was attached to the new slave we installed when the rebuild was done. Trans issues is all but eliminated. I just want to make sure if something is destroying these bearings we fix it before I put it back together again. I am taking the measurement procedure for slave shim to the shop in the morning and see if that's an issue as well. Martin says if that measurement is out of tolerance but we didnt shim it it would cause some or all of the issues I'm having too. My suspicion is it needs shimmed and a Tick master and I will be good to go finally. Oh, since you asked, I think it's a Spec, def a twin disc clutch. Guy I bought it from put it in and I think it's still plenty good. We shall see. Thanks for the help, to you and to Martin
Old 11-13-2013, 04:52 PM
Teching In

I just had a tick clutch master cylinder installed new slave, clutch and skip shift eliminator. I had hard time going into 1st and Reverse. Ended up taking it back turns out they connected the eliminator in the reverse and that was the source of the problem. Maybe the plugs were connected wrong?

Last edited by 23WS6; 11-13-2013 at 05:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Stage 2 Tick rebuild T-56 issues