Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cant figure it out. please help

so heres my problem

picked up my 98 z28 m6

was told when i bought it would need a new master. no big deal

got on it hard and would lose pressure in the pedal after a hard redline shift
so replaced the master with a new oem and drilled it

got on it hard again and same thing. pressure was slightly better, but still would lose pressure

figured the slave cylinder

so got a brand new newer model slave

was told the car had an ls7 clutch. not sure what it is but i dont think its ls7

and also saw that ring thing just hanging out there on the clutch. no idea

so replaced slave and did a full 1st-2nd gear pull. up to redline in first, shifted 2nd, getting up to about 5500-6000 and all of sudden just revs to redline, as if i pushed in the clutch. weird. Did a 2nd-3rd pull. same thing happens when i get to top of 3rd. but i smell no clutch.

well next day do some racing with buddies and clutch feel good. going into every gear and no slipping it seems like it was doing. but now the pedal is losing some pressure it seems again. and then do a another run and the clutch slips in the high rpm. wtf. do another pull. doesnt slip. do another. slips. then i smell some clutch. and pedal losing pressure. im stumped. all the hydraulics are new. i dont see why the pedal would be losing pressure. and now the clutch slipping when it never did before i replaced the master and slave.

helppp. want to figure it out before i just shell out for a whole new clutch setup. friend was telling me it may be the pressure plate. but i have no idea
Old 12-27-2013, 07:34 PM
Teching In

Nobody?
Old 12-27-2013, 08:47 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

It's an LS1 / LS6 clutch. It's slipping. Buy a new one. You're welcome.
Old 12-28-2013, 06:59 AM
TECH Regular

on a personal note before you buy give monster a try. I researched a long time and settled on a one shot deal from monster clutch. clutch,flywheel,pressure plate, throw out,tick master and speed bleeder in one package. never a problem 20k on it hard street miles. I know you pieced a lot of stuff together and you did a lot of fab like us all have but in my opinion the factory stock clutch parts leave a lot to e desired as you found out. good luck on your car.. the oldman.....
Old 12-28-2013, 03:51 PM
Staging Lane

I can't speak on the inconsistency of the slipping but mine had similar problems. Changed out all the hydros and same issues. After getting hot clutch would slip out of gear and not go back in until pumping clutch several times. Thats what lead me to believe it was the hydros. Long story short my pressure plate was going bad/worn. Replaced with new LS7 clutch and PP and fixed the problem.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: cant figure it out. please help