Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Trans issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 12:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Trans issue

So i have a 6 speed in my car and yesterday while driving it started making a weird sound. I am 90 percent sure its coming from the transmission. It kinda feels vibratory through the shifter and there is a clunking/grinding sound when in gear and moving. For a while it had a very slight vibration/sound from a stop at low rpm. Is it the synchros? It still shifts fine and gear lockup is good but the noise is bad. It increases when accelerating. I also thought it coulda been the rear end but it sounds/feels more like tranny. Fluid is synchromesh and ive had no problems before.I ended up having it towed because I didnt wanna demolish anything more than I had. I am thinking about sending it to tick for a stage 1 rebuild but want to know exactly what the issue is.

Thanks, Jay
Old 05-31-2014, 03:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it speed or rpm related? If rpm look at the clutch.
Old 05-31-2014, 04:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Exidous
Is it speed or rpm related? If rpm look at the clutch.
Good question, I think it is rpm. I have a monster stage 2 clutch that has less than 10k on it. Sure hope that isnt it. I wonder if the roller bearing went out? It was replaced during the clutch swap. At one point while driving I heard something that sounded like little pieces inside the trans (rollers?). The clutch still engages fine and doesnt feel any different.
Old 06-02-2014, 03:59 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's really hard to diagnose through a keyboard, are you the one who installed it or are the one who's going to be pulling it apart?

Quick Reply: Trans issue