Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Brand new Ram slave cylinder leaking

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2014, 01:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Brand new Ram slave cylinder leaking

I am slowly getting around to getting my car running. I have a new super magnum 6 speed from Tick, I had a used Ram slave with 8000 miles on it that I had before my old transmission died on me. I also have a brand new Mcleod twin disk clutch.

I finally got ready to bleed the clutch. The brake fluid started leaking out of the bellhousing, and I figured it was the slave so I purchased a new one. After getting another Ram slave, I hooked it up, tried to bleed the slave again and it's still leaking. I thought it may have been my speed bleeder, but I have the copper washer on and it is tight. I'm pretty pissed off because it's been 2 years since I have driven my car and this is what's holding me up. I took a video so you can see the leak after the clutch is pressed.

Old 06-02-2014, 03:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Also I should state that the speed bleeder does have the copper washer installed. I am not ruling out the speed bleeder, but it sure looks like it's coming from the shaft in the throw out bearing. Any suggestions??
Old 06-02-2014, 04:30 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It definitely is leaking out the nose of the slave and looks like it's getting on the clutch disc or are you using some fluid that has purple dye in it?
Old 06-02-2014, 04:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I thought that was pretty weird myself. It is only the dot3 brake fluid. Only thing I can think of is some of the black spray paint on the bellhousing mixing with it as it falls? It's either that or the tranny is leaking out of the cover.

I am just really curious as to whether I'm doing something wrong because the other slave leaked from the same spot. And I notice the input shaft of the transmission is still showing a little bit more. Is there something up with that or is it normal?
Old 06-02-2014, 11:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

After a lot more searching using different wordings and phrases, I have found a few people with similar issues. It seems as if I have too much fluid coming from my Tick Master. It likely overextended the slave. I can only imagine that the slave was moving a lot more before I heard the spilling and got down to investigate. By the time I got down the slave would not move at all. I hope this makes since and is the case because I am buying a new one tonight.

Quick Reply: Brand new Ram slave cylinder leaking