Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

M6 grinding/roaring when shifting.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 07:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default M6 grinding/roaring when shifting.

Hello all. A bit of background. 99 T/A with approx 190k on it. Daily driver. About 2 months ago I was at a stop sign. Depressed the clutch and felt a pop. Not really audible, but I could feel it. Immediately following, it was very hard to go into first or reverse without rolling into the shift a bit. Immediately, I thought 'slave cylinder assembly' since I had noticed the telltale chirping when engaging the clutch. Drove the car to the shop. Of course, it performed flawlessly and they couldn't get it to show any problems.

Told them to replace the assembly anyway since it had been chirping. They replaced it. Said nothing was wrong with the old one. Said my clutch looked like new. I still have the stock 10 bolt holding up fine if that tells you how I tend to drive it.

Got it back now and noticed some grinding or growling when I shift into gears with any speed whatsoever. If I REALLY baby the shift (and I mean slowly shift like a grandma) there's no grinding/growling. However, even at a normal shift (which is still slow if you're not getting in on it) it growls intermittently in whatever gear. It isn't just 1, 3, and 5, or 2, 4, and 6. It seems to be any random one. It happens about half the time. And, I feel the growl both in the pedal and in the shifter.

This morning I coasted down my drive with the car in first and the clutch engaged. Rolling out and letting out the clutch, it growled. I'm leaning toward the clutch aspect since this happened without any transmission input.

What say you? What can I check out or look for? The shop gives a 12K mi/12month warranty on their end so I can always take it back. They've done me right before as well as other members of my family. I just hate to take it back and look like an idiot if it isn't something that they did.

I did have the trans serviced about 20K miles ago with new fluid. Ran what the previous owner ran (Mobile 1, I think). When I purchased it at 95k mi, he had just did the spec-3 clutch, fluids, etc. He worked at a dealership and did all his own work after hours.

Thanks all.
Old 08-23-2014, 11:33 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by flyboy129
Hello all. A bit of background. 99 T/A with approx 190k on it. Daily driver. About 2 months ago I was at a stop sign. Depressed the clutch and felt a pop. Not really audible, but I could feel it. Immediately following, it was very hard to go into first or reverse without rolling into the shift a bit. Immediately, I thought 'slave cylinder assembly' since I had noticed the telltale chirping when engaging the clutch. Drove the car to the shop. Of course, it performed flawlessly and they couldn't get it to show any problems.

Told them to replace the assembly anyway since it had been chirping. They replaced it. Said nothing was wrong with the old one. Said my clutch looked like new. I still have the stock 10 bolt holding up fine if that tells you how I tend to drive it.

Got it back now and noticed some grinding or growling when I shift into gears with any speed whatsoever. If I REALLY baby the shift (and I mean slowly shift like a grandma) there's no grinding/growling. However, even at a normal shift (which is still slow if you're not getting in on it) it growls intermittently in whatever gear. It isn't just 1, 3, and 5, or 2, 4, and 6. It seems to be any random one. It happens about half the time. And, I feel the growl both in the pedal and in the shifter.

This morning I coasted down my drive with the car in first and the clutch engaged. Rolling out and letting out the clutch, it growled. I'm leaning toward the clutch aspect since this happened without any transmission input.

What say you? What can I check out or look for? The shop gives a 12K mi/12month warranty on their end so I can always take it back. They've done me right before as well as other members of my family. I just hate to take it back and look like an idiot if it isn't something that they did.

I did have the trans serviced about 20K miles ago with new fluid. Ran what the previous owner ran (Mobile 1, I think). When I purchased it at 95k mi, he had just did the spec-3 clutch, fluids, etc. He worked at a dealership and did all his own work after hours.

Thanks all.
torque arms loose? bad throw out bearing? could be anything at this point, hard just by reading. I would make a youtube video of the problem, and then post it here. Hope you fix the problem.
Old 08-23-2014, 06:53 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by flyboy129

Thanks all.
It sounds very similar to the sound I had when I cheaped out and used a jobber throw out bearing. Replaced with a brand name one (Centerforce in that case) and solved the problem.

Hope this helps,
Jon
Old 01-27-2015, 01:34 PM
On The Tree

Well, an update on this. Seems like the trans shop that installed my slave unit didn't listen to me when I asked them to check out entire trans while it was out. It needed a rebuild due to a bad input bearing. Another shop now has my business. Got it upgraded with good stuff from tick. Level 2 kit with new bearings throughout, steel 3rd-4th gear fork, carbon blockers, bronze pads, billet keys, new synchros, and bronze cup. Now filled with synchromesh. Nice and tight with no grinding or growling. Much quieter overall as well. Having fun rowing the gears now. Next on the agenda: long tubes and a dyno tune.

Quick Reply: M6 grinding/roaring when shifting.