Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Bad master, or hurt trans..what do you think?

Old 09-13-2014, 11:05 AM
Motorboater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Bad master, or hurt trans..what do you think?

Car has 35k miles on it. I bought it with a blown motor and dead clutch. When we put it back together, used a brand new GM slave, and a new McLeod twin disk clutch and flywheel, but re-used the stock master in the car.

Noticed right away the trans was difficult to get into 1st and reverse when sitting, otherwise seemed ok, maybe a little harder than it should have been to shift when driving, but not bad.

Went to the track Thursday nite and made some passes, everything performed well at the track. Now its noticeably more difficult to put in 1st, more difficult to shift into 2/3/4 while driving and very very difficult to get into reverse when sitting.

What do you guys think? Master cylinder or is the trans hurt, or both?

EDIT: There's no grinding when I go for gears, doesn't lock me out of any gear while driving, but it just takes some effort to shift it.

Last edited by SilverGhost; 09-13-2014 at 11:35 AM.
Old 09-13-2014, 03:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its the master buy a tick master its $330 ik expensive but totally worth it. I just did it to mine . I'd buy it right Fron tickperformance cause you won't find it any cheaper. Also I'd recommend a easy bleeder line for $50 but tranny has to cone out to install but its worth it for the log run. But it all depends on your funds.
Old 09-13-2014, 04:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With the car off and sitting still. Shift threw the gears with out the clutch if its smooth its usuallly hyd. Or clutch related if its notchy or hard to shift its the trans. Aleast what ive heard
Old 09-13-2014, 06:10 PM
Motorboater

With the car not running the problems go away, it can be moved in and out of all gears easily. I was kinda thinking the same thing, that if it was the trans I would expect it to be difficult to move through the gears without the car running, but its not.
Old 09-13-2014, 08:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

its the master , please buy a tick , i just went from a stock gm to a tick , its worth the 110 extra. No matter the cost get the tick , i just did it and its makes it so much better , along with my speed bleeder and mgw shifter its the best .

I havent missed a wot shift in the 1500 miles ive put on it , esp a 2-3 .

you wont regret it .
Old 09-13-2014, 11:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Like the other posters say ,make your life easy buy a tick. The stock master is a waste of time.I replaced it with a new one,then did the drill mod,nothing worked right. Finally installed a tick with my new diamond stage 2 clutch and problems solved.It feels like a different car.It is well worth the money.
Old 09-13-2014, 11:57 PM
Motorboater

Thanks guys. I will get a Tick. Already talked to Tom at Speed Inc and he said def the master is the issue and he's going to bring a Tick in for me. I think I'll skip the speed bleeder for now, don't feel like dropping the trans right now to install it, and no real reason to since the slave is brand new
Old 09-18-2014, 12:40 PM
Motorboater

Tick got behind and I still don't have my master. I've never really had one go bad before. Will it hurt anything to drive the car this weekend with it being difficult to shift? Or is it just a nuiscance and won't hurt the trans/clutch,etc..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bad master, or hurt trans..what do you think?