Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Need some help with my clutch problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 06:16 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Need some help with my clutch problem

Hey guy,

I was having problems with my clutch, and from reading around it seemed like my master was going, so I just bought a tick from a member on here thinking it was my problem with the clutch. Still having some of the symptoms though. If I put it into first, sometimes it will feel spongy but still shift through gears. 1-2 is hard to shift into sometimes. When I depress the clutch to go into first, on the way back up the pedal will force itself back on my foot and feel really tight, then I hear a whoosh sound. I have to pump the pedal once or twice before I can shift to second, or even out of first, and after that I can rip through the rest of the gears as if there is nothing wrong. I'm at a loss right now as I have never dealt with trans/clutch problems before. I know about engine failure, thanks to my 3.8 bird, but I never had a problem with that clutch or trans for as long as I was smashing on it, never even changed clutch or trans fluid for the 6 years I had it. So this is new to me. Any help or suggestions would be great. I really love this car and just want to have a little fun with it, actually a lot of fun.

Thanks in advanced
Old 09-14-2014, 03:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

it would help if your sig said what kind of car you have

my guess is you may still have air in the hydraulics after MC swap

jack rear end of car up, start motor, put in gear and hold clutch in...do rear tires move?
Old 09-14-2014, 10:19 PM
Teching In

Sorry, thought I had set my sig up before. It's a 2001 trans am. I tried to do the thing where you hold down the clutch and rev it up, had the revs at 5k, and no movement. When I bled the system, I did it from the slave through the hole in my car and also tried with my mityvac through my resevoir to get bubbles out. I will try to put my car on the jack tomorrow, after work, to see if it does move or not. Maybe I did not bleed it long enough because I still have about a 1/2" to 1" of play in the pedal before I feel some firmness to it.

Thanks ******
Old 09-14-2014, 11:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Megatron420
Maybe I did not bleed it long enough because I still have about a 1/2" to 1" of play in the pedal before I feel some firmness to it.
since you replaced MC my assumption is you still have air in the system.....this assumes the MC & Slave are good

I have the LT1 so that is why I asked year. Still any hydraulic clutch should not have slop/dead pedal. Assuming your system parts are good than it sounds like a bleed issue.
Old 09-15-2014, 12:28 PM
Teching In

I will try to bleed more when i get home, hopefully that will cure the problem.

Thanks again ******
Old 09-16-2014, 10:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any Update Megatron?
Old 09-22-2014, 05:48 PM
Teching In

Hey guys,

I tried to bleed the system more, spent like 10 minutes with the mityvac in the reservoir and it did seem to get better for a week. Went around for a cruise and it was shifting smoothly, the pedal would come back up, with very little play, and all was well. Yesterday i was going to the store and it started to act up again. The pedal would get soft and spongy, it was hard to shift out of 1st again, and the pedal would only come up about half way. I will try to use the hole in my car, to bleed right from the slave, and see if that does anything. Hopefully it does, if not I am already trying to same some money for a new slave, and hopefully that will fix my problem.

Maybe it is the fluid i have been using, the DOT 3 & 4 Valvoline Synthetic?

Any more suggestions would be great before i start to dish out some coin.

Thanks in advanced.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear you are still having this issue. I installed a new slave/bleeder from Tick and the bleeding process was really easy.
Old 11-03-2014, 11:58 AM
Teching In

Hey guys,

Just wanted to update. Have had my car parked at the folks pad, and riding around the motorcycle in the mean time. I bled the system all the way through with a big bottle of brake fluid, and drove around again. Still same problem. Getting locked in first, have to depress the pedal again, then be able to shift out. Sometimes after engagement, pedal would be getting all soft, and hear a whoosh sound when engaging, with some play up top. Sometimes the pedal would kick back when trying to engage the clutch and feel really hard.

So i was about to buy a new slave, and clutch, but good thing i did not. All i had to do was adjust the pedal out more (Hahaha. I knew, I knew how to bled a system). I had read on here that you should not go past the brake pedal, as it will mess stuff up because of too much pressure. I decided, since i was planning on getting a new clutch anyways, to keep adjusting out and see if it would get any better. I kept driving, adjusting, driving, adjusting, and finally i got to where it needs to be. The clutch pedal is probably about 3/4" to 1" above the brake pedal. Just did this yesterday, and so far holding good. On my way to work today in traffic, i had no problems shifting at all. I never got locked in or out of any gear, and a nice firm pedal through and through. Hopefully this can help someone in the future, before they start dishing out more money thinking that the clutch, slave is bad from not adjusting further than the pedal.

Thanks guys for all your help.

Quick Reply: Need some help with my clutch problem