Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Magnum t56 and slip yoke question/ concern

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 07:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Magnum t56 and slip yoke question/ concern

Little background I bought a magnum 6060 for my car, ordered a drive shaft from a well known shop, gave them the specs they asked for, even sent them the e-mail from the trans shop which stated which yoke the shaft needed. Get the drive shaft 2 weeks later and it doesn't fit, seems like the yoke is bottoming out inside the tail housing. See picture below.

So after a week of arguing and putting it back in and taking pics they agree that it has the wrong yoke and I need to send it back, so 8 days later they send me this:

The exact same yoke with some of the splines bored out. Now I haven't been able to find a good picture of the 31 spline output shaft from the 6060 to see why this might even work but so far everywhere I have looked uses a different yoke than the one they have left me with for the magnum converted t56's. Someone please tell me it will be okay and I don't need to load this thing up and throw it through someones front door. I am going to be out of the country for the next week and wont get to try it in the car until I get back.

The shop said I needed "a bored out 3-3-2491x" which is what I have found online also, I even sent that on my order form and they sent me this one twice now:

Old 09-17-2014, 12:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Okay, does anyone have a picture of their yoke for the magnum or a good image of the 31 spline output shaft to see if this 5" hogged out yoke will even work?
Old 09-17-2014, 09:33 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

The mainshaft they used doesn't have splines as far forward as the F and GTO had.

The spline minor diameter is smaller than the shaft ahead of it. So you're probably hitting there.
Old 09-17-2014, 09:53 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

. . .
Attached Thumbnails Magnum t56 and slip yoke question/ concern-img_20140917_190307.jpg  
Old 09-18-2014, 07:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks that makes me feel a little better now I just hope they didn't machine so much out that I don't have very much mesh area for the splines, any idea what the normal contact area should be, from the looks of it im looking at less than 3" contact area right now.
Old 09-24-2014, 03:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 74 Likes on 40 Posts

I posted this in another thread, I had the same issue as you. I cut just under an inch off the yoke and hand filed the splines, its all good and it was a cheap quick fix

T56 Magnum supplied slip yoke (31spline)
http://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/p196..._magnum__.html

Stock Fbody T56 slip yoke (27 spline)
http://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/p252...e_1350_se.html

Overall, the Magnum slip yoke it a 1/2" longer, the barrel is 7/8" longer. My driveshaft was already a tad long, so this is where the added length gave me problems.

This yoke would be best for the swap (31 spline):
http://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/p773...31_spline.html

its only an 1/8" longer overall, the barrel is still .5 longer than stock but it should be alright.
Old 09-28-2014, 06:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, I think I am going to call Denny's tomorrow to try to get one ordered. I have been out of town for the past week and when I got to the shop today, the shaft still does not work. As you can see in the youtube video below it looks like the shaft itself is too long even though it probably has the wrong yoke as well. The shaft binds and does not allow more than about 1/2" of suspension travel. I need to ask the builder of the transmission if cramming 4-3/4" of yoke into the trans has hurt anything before moving forward.

Old 10-06-2014, 02:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Okay, after talking to pretty much everyone who made a part in my drive train. It turns out there was a burr on one of the splines of the drive shaft yoke preventing it from sliding in and out freely. I was able to get it cleaned up with just a pin file and now everything moves freely. I was even able to drive the car some, although I haven't hit any major bumps I haven't had any problems and it looks like there is at least 3/4" for the yoke to move forward when the weight of the car is on it so I think I'll be okay.
Old 01-12-2015, 12:29 AM
TECH Resident

good info
Old 02-24-2015, 09:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Just wanted to post a final update to this thread in case anyone has an issue in the future. I have put about 4 tanks of gas through the car at this point so maybe 1k miles. Both the transmission and the driveshaft are doing just fine. No hard launches on the car but a few good 3-4 gear pulls and a few 1-2 hits from a roll and everything seems to be great.
Old 02-25-2015, 12:40 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This thread is interesting, the yoke should be fully splined and your driveshaft is too short. Even though the rubber seal extends out, that should not be there bottom out point to measure from. What yoke part number was finally used?

Quick Reply: Magnum t56 and slip yoke question/ concern