Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T-56 Will Not Shift Into Even Gears

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 01:18 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default T-56 Will Not Shift Into Even Gears

Alright LS1Tech, this is my first post so if I commit any social blunders, or Faux pas, please excuse my newb dialect.

I drive a 2000 Z28 with 172,000 miles on it. I had the transmission rebuilt about 34,000 miles ago. It worked fine up until about 22,000 miles at which point I had completely burnt the clutch. 12,000 miles after replacing the clutch, but not the flywheel (had it resurfaced -was too impoverished to get a new one), the transmission will not shift into 2nd, 4th, or 6th gears. I did replace the stock shifter with a Hurst billet shifter about 1,000 miles or so ago, I don't know what this may have to do with what could be wrong with my transmission, but it is a related component so I figure you should know that too. That said, can anyone tell me why I wouldn't be able to shift into the even numbered gears, and only into odd numbered gears? If it sounds like I need a rebuild, would a kit from either Tick, or Texas Speed be preferable? Further, can anyone personally recommend a shop that specializes in F-body's in the Inland Empire that I can take it to for the rebuild?

About the car: Stock LS1 motor with JBA mid-length (short tube to some) headers. K&N intake, no aftermarket lid. Previous owner widened the exhaust pipe. Other than that, it's a bone stock set-up. Applications: a sweeter than candy daily driver. I love her, but right now I'm kinda frustrated with 'er.

About the driver: I live in the high desert of Socal in BFE Morongo Valley, so I'm hoping that access to great shops that specialize in F-body's won't be out of reach. My auto-skills are basic. I don't know enough to remove the transmission and box it up and ship it off to anyone for repair. The most in-depth I've gone into doing my own repairs is that I've been able to replace my radiator, water pump and thermostat, sparkplugs (belts, hoses, and bolts that are not too hard to get to etc). I change my own oil too but that's about the extent of my auto-skills.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon on this because like I said she's my DD and until I get it running again I'll be driving a '93 Toyota pickup truck -small cab and I share custody of a little 2yo girl and it's hard to fit her on the little bench behind the passenger seat. Thank you in advance!

-Valo

Last edited by vsgonzalez; 10-06-2014 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Edited for clarity.
Old 10-07-2014, 09:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

locking out of all even or all odd gates is an indicator of a blockage at the shifter. It can happed when the shifter stops back out/ come out of adjustment. I do not know if your shifter has stops , but check this if it does. The other thought would be some thin g has fallen into the shifter that won't allow the rearward ( even) gates.
Old 10-08-2014, 09:34 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by calhoon
locking out of all even or all odd gates is an indicator of a blockage at the shifter. It can happed when the shifter stops back out/ come out of adjustment. I do not know if your shifter has stops , but check this if it does. The other thought would be some thin g has fallen into the shifter that won't allow the rearward ( even) gates.
Bingo! It was a blockage at the shifter. A pin had come lose and had to be put back in place with a bit of lock tite. I lost a bit of sleep over this and was stressed about how much time and money this repair was going to cost me. The repair was inexpensive and time to repair was about an hour.
Thanks calhoon.

Last edited by vsgonzalez; 10-08-2014 at 09:41 AM.

Quick Reply: T-56 Will Not Shift Into Even Gears