Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Questions regarding Camaro trans

Old 11-21-2014, 04:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions regarding Camaro trans

First off, I looked on the forum for a thread regarding a Jerico transmission and an LS that someone was running and had something to say about it and I did not find one. So, the situation is this; I am going to be putting my 4.8 into a 3rd gen camaro and it has to be manual for daily driving and occasional auto cross and road race events. No drag planned. Problem is, transmissions aren't cheap for anything making over 300tq, which my motor will be over 400 when it's done. Is Jerico the right company to buy from--I like the idea of their 5 speed road race trans, and if so, is there a safe way to buy used? The other option for me would be a TKO 5 speed, either way pricey. Will there need to be significant changes to firewall or floorboards? Is there a better company to buy from? I will call Jerico to see what they think also. Not feeling like a T56 is what I want, just something about 6 speeds feels more un-American than a Hyundai. If y'all think T-56 is the way to go, Viper or GM? So many questions... Thanks for taking the time to read!
Old 11-22-2014, 02:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

saying a 6 speed is un-american is about the weirdest thing i have ever heard especially since there has been some variation of a 6 speed in corvettes and camaros since 92.

Now i dont know much about jerico's but I would honestly just source a t56. ts a well documented swap that parts are easily available for and even a stock t56 would hold up just fine to a 4.8. Plus the 6th gear is awesome for hwy cruising mpg. 1-4 are similar to any other close ratio trans
Old 11-22-2014, 06:19 PM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by CorsairCamaro
First off, I looked on the forum for a thread regarding a Jerico transmission and an LS that someone was running and had something to say about it and I did not find one. So, the situation is this; I am going to be putting my 4.8 into a 3rd gen camaro and it has to be manual for daily driving and occasional auto cross and road race events. No drag planned. Problem is, transmissions aren't cheap for anything making over 300tq, which my motor will be over 400 when it's done. Is Jerico the right company to buy from--I like the idea of their 5 speed road race trans, and if so, is there a safe way to buy used? The other option for me would be a TKO 5 speed, either way pricey. Will there need to be significant changes to firewall or floorboards? Is there a better company to buy from? I will call Jerico to see what they think also. Not feeling like a T56 is what I want, just something about 6 speeds feels more un-American than a Hyundai. If y'all think T-56 is the way to go, Viper or GM? So many questions... Thanks for taking the time to read!
What on earth are you talking about ?

What the hell would you need a Jerico for if you're only making 3-400 ?

A T56 will handle double that all day long and it bolts straight to the engine.

Or any TKO would handle it with ease too.

What exactly are you after ?
Old 11-22-2014, 06:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

More un-American then Hyundai? That is the silliest thing I have ever heard.

Where are you going to find a Jerico for less then a T56?
Old 11-22-2014, 06:40 PM

Redbird- disregard my comments about 6 being un-American, I just prefer 5 or 4 speeds, big whoop, that said, thank you for your input, I'll definitely look into them.
Stevie- 800 tq sounds questionable for a stock trans, but I will take your word for it. I didn't say I "need" a Jerico; I want one. So to answer your 3rd question, I am after a trans that will do clutchless shifting, live for a long time with room for the motor to grow, and stay light weight as I plan on racing it. Plus it's a cool factor for me--yes you may laugh.
There was a 3rd gen Camaro featured in Hot Rod mag probably over a year ago that has a Jerico behind I want to say a 5.3. So if anyone else has something useful to offer, that'd be dope.
Old 11-22-2014, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by N20zuki
More un-American then Hyundai? That is the silliest thing I have ever heard.

Where are you going to find a Jerico for less then a T56?
Glad I could amuse you, people seem to like that comment. I didn't say I was going to find one for less, I said I didn't want a T56 so there wasn't a comparison. I'd rather not row around in 6 gears all the time, I don't see how that's a problem.
Old 11-22-2014, 07:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Who says you have to use 6 gears every time you drive it? Bottom line is a t56 is much cheaper than a jerico unit and a t56 will handle pretty much anything a built 4.8 will throw at it. What are you suing the car for? And why do you prefer a 5 speed or even 4 speed? That seriously makes no sense.

If you're dead set on a 5 speed then tko would be my next choice. But then again the price wont be much different both will handle what you want the difference is one gives you a hwy gear and enables you to run 4.10s out back and still only turn 2000 rpm at 80. The T56 and its derivatives are arguably some of the best manuals ever made so i would never count them out for this
Old 11-23-2014, 03:32 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by CorsairCamaro
Redbird- disregard my comments about 6 being un-American, I just prefer 5 or 4 speeds, big whoop, that said, thank you for your input, I'll definitely look into them.
Stevie- 800 tq sounds questionable for a stock trans, but I will take your word for it. I didn't say I "need" a Jerico; I want one. So to answer your 3rd question, I am after a trans that will do clutchless shifting, live for a long time with room for the motor to grow, and stay light weight as I plan on racing it. Plus it's a cool factor for me--yes you may laugh.
There was a 3rd gen Camaro featured in Hot Rod mag probably over a year ago that has a Jerico behind I want to say a 5.3. So if anyone else has something useful to offer, that'd be dope.
Clutchless shifting requires some style of dog engagement box, and will require controlled engine cuts to enable the shifts to take place, and if you want clutchless downshifts will also require a throttle blip feature to ensure reliable downshifts.

ie you need a full and proper sequential gearbox, which will likely run you in the $15k and upwards range, maybe $20k+ by the time you've sorted all the control strategies to make it "live for a long time"

Whether Jerico offers this or not I've no idea, never used or been around one. And I'd always thought of them as drag only units ? ie upshifting was their main importance ?
Although if you say you want a Jerico, then surely the decision is made ? If that's what you want, just buy one. No idea what they cost, but it would seem odd spending a lot of money for a race ready transmission ( not just drag race as you say ) and only wanting 4 gears.

Samsonas have a new universal sequential 6 speed which is keenly priced and rated for 1000lbft, alloy cased etc so would be relatively lightweight. If their other units are anything to go by, shifts will be superb, in the 50-60ms range

http://samsonas.com/?page_id=234

Another unit in 5 or 6 speed is Tractive. These are excellent units, but wouldnt be as strong as the Samsonas

http://www.tractive.se/products/rwd-...-gearboxes__98

Both the above units also have a drop gear feature, so you can change the overall gearing in a few minutes by playing with the drop gears. It's a bit like a diff swap.

But the above are proper racing transmissions, and will upshift/downshift without the clutch all day long with the correct controls in place to make them happen reliably.
But you will be in the $15-20k price range.

In the US, Emco would appear to offer a similar product to the above, although when I got a quote from them a while back, they were considerably more expensive, in the $20-25k range.

http://www.emcogears.com/dv46/
Old 11-23-2014, 11:07 AM

Stevie- Thanks for the swift reply and all the helpful info. My decision isn't made yet, that's why I made this thread to get some second opinions, the 4.8 is still getting put together so there's time. I saw a pricetag of $2,300 from Jerico for the 5 speed I was refering to so the #'s you dropped are definitely out of my budget, but it's very possible that was a mistake on my part. I say "used" Jerico because my budget is paycheck to paycheck, so if the T56 is more cost-effective, which it sounds like it is, I'll buy one. I was hoping to find a more bullet proof T-5 or similar ideas in responses. I'm not a veteran of racing or even working on cars so I'm happy to learn more! Based on your experience in Drag racing which is arguably the toughest trans test, I'll start looking into buying a used T56 until I can upgrade. Opinions on a rebuild kit or anything that I should watch for buying used? Again, thanks for taking time to reply, I appreciate it!
Redbird- like I said I just like not "rowing" through 6 gears, but I definitely won't count them out. Thanks
That said, I have 18" c5 vette wheels going on the rear of the car. I like the 3.91 of the new Z28 because it seems like a happy medium between quickness and cruising.
Old 11-23-2014, 11:22 AM
9 Second Club

A lot will depend on actual usage, and what you believe to be clutchless shifting.....which isnt often just as simple as ramming gears and expecting it to live a long and happy life

T56's are well tried and tested and are generally very reliable. But yes some break, some dont. You must use the clutch though...I dont see why that would be a problem.

Why do you want, or feel the need for a clutchless shift type setup ?

A T5 will hardly live long behind an LS, unless you spend a fortune on it..and even then it probably wouldnt be that great.

One option for a....easy shifting trans ( hard to say smooth, slick, clutchless etc ) would be either a TKO or T56 that has been faceplated by Liberty Gears.
I just had this done to my T56, and certainly it does shift very easily, but it is quite clunky and not so nice during daily use. But ability to shift under all circumstances is vastly improved over the synchro mechanism, and it seems equally happy with upshifts as down.

Again they do say you must use the clutch. But it is a cost effective option.

But as mentioned, any non syncro style box, whether dog, faceplate etc can all be shifted up without the clutch provided there is an engine power cut to enable the shift to take place. This will take some fine tuning to set up correctly though, and you will need the means to achieve it.

Downshifts would require the clutch unless you have a throttle blip feature. This is difficult to achieve on an H pattern box though. Best to use the clutch.
Old 11-23-2014, 11:42 AM
9 Second Club

Of course a T56 Magnum is a good option too, or get a T56 and maybe upgrade ?

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...ock-parts.html

All still synchro boxes though

Or Rockland Standard Gear off their Tranzilla's again synchro boxes, but with a choice of ratios which might suit better.
Old 11-23-2014, 03:11 PM

Well, it's no trouble for me to use a clutch, just being able to do clutchless shifting when driving hard but like you say as long as there's not a heavy load any stick can do that. There's no practical reason for it, just a thought I had. Bummer about the T-5, I have done a little searching on beefing those up and it looks like they're just too fragile for that amount of abuse. So I guess going forward I'll start thinking about locating a T56 near me and checking into Liberty, or saving the money and put it towards a TKO when it is getting worn out. Sounds like in a street application where it will be a summer daily a synchro is the way to go. Appreciate all your help!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Questions regarding Camaro trans