Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Money shift, what'd I break?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 01:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Money shift, what'd I break?

Hopefully you guys can put my paranoid mind to rest. Since I've owned my car I accidently did a second to first shift a couple times at WOT. Both times I reacted immediately and put the clutch in. It bounced off the stock rev limiter for maybe a second and left some rubber on the pavement both times. The car drives fine with nothing unusual. I checked the rear diff and there was nothing out of place. Everything seems okay but I read about this happening online and it seems that some people do it once and their engine is done. Can you guys share some input on it other than me being a dumbass
Old 01-16-2015, 01:57 PM
10 Second Club

Regardless of the rev limiter, when you do this at redline, the car will still mechanically overrev. Itll see 7-8k or whatever it may work out to be. Things that could happen you didn't check, are bent pushrods or bent valves. Not sure what you might find on an LT1, I know if it was an LS1 it would definitely have bent pushrods, and there would be at the least marks on each piston.
Old 01-16-2015, 02:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

doing a 2-3 upshift at WOT but going into 1st...ouch to say the least

You "may" have escaped with minimal damage but what "could" happen to the motor as noted in the other reply. If you did bend PR which then cause other valve train damage (valve hitting piston) you would clearly hear noise coming from motor if that happened. If you just bent PR some and they did not come off the rocker you may be in better shape. Pull VC and inspect ideally removing PR and rolling them on a piece of glass to confirm none are bent

clutch will take a beating when you do this also. it clearly engaged as you said you left tire lock up skid marks

miss shifts at WOT can be very expensive...hopefully you dodged a bullet
Old 01-16-2015, 03:47 PM
On The Tree

I've noticed no valvetrain noise and did have the VCs pulled to check the rockers and nothing seemed out of place. My car has 50k on it so would it be possible I escaped damage this time around?
Old 01-16-2015, 05:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

well if it is not making any unusual noises from engine & drive line...you may have dodged a bullet

I am sure you didn't help syncros or clutch.
Old 01-16-2015, 05:30 PM
On The Tree

Yeah I know for sure it increased wear on things but it seems I haven't broken anything. At least from pulling the valve covers and the rear diff cover. I'll definitely keep an eye on everything however.
Old 01-16-2015, 05:39 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there something wrong with your MGW shifter? I know the gates are tight with those but you shouldn't be hitting 1st.
Also keep an eye on your water temp and listen for any knocking sounds coming from the water pump drive gears. I've seen a couple threads where the sudden load reversal on the drive gears have taken the teeth off them. I think they're just cast gears and not too robust. Check your oil next time you drain it for metal. I don't mean to be a alarmist, but I once missed a shift like you and the water pump drive gears worry me.
See this thread.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...ilure-why.html

Last edited by guppymech; 01-16-2015 at 05:52 PM.
Old 01-16-2015, 05:45 PM
On The Tree

I was thinking the same thing. I believe it's just my error. It was happening when I first installed it because I was so used to the stocker. I've been fine now once I got used to it. I'm a lot more careful with the 2 to 3 shift though when racing now
Old 01-16-2015, 05:47 PM
On The Tree

It centers just fine in neutral between 3 and 4 so like I saod, probably just me being dumb. I used to hold the shifter like a pistol, now I shift with my hand on top and haven't banged a bad gear yet
Old 01-16-2015, 06:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by guppymech
Is there something wrong with your MGW shifter? I know the gates are tight with those but you shouldn't be hitting 1st.
Also keep an eye on your water temp and listen for any knocking sounds coming from the water pump drive gears. I've seen a couple threads where the sudden load reversal on the drive gears have taken the teeth off them. I think they're just cast gears and not too robust. Check your oil next time you drain it for metal. I don't mean to be a alarmist, but I once missed a shift like you and the water pump drive gears worry me.
See this thread.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...ilure-why.html
I'll definetly keep an eye out for that. I just changed the oil after the incident and I didn't see any metal but I'll watch for that as well. Thanks for all the help guys. My mind is more at ease

Quick Reply: Money shift, what'd I break?