Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Best 5.3 6 speed option?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 11:24 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best 5.3 6 speed option?

Hi guys,

I'm doing a 5.3 truck motor swap out of an 02 Silverado into my 76 Camaro, I want a 6 speed and i was wondering if the T56 will mate up to that motor with which bellhousings and if I need to build the tranny or not. I'm planning on around 450-500 HP on the build. I'll be upgrading the rear end as well.

Thanks,
Tyler

Last edited by 1976CamaroSwap; 01-20-2015 at 12:54 PM.
Old 01-20-2015, 12:43 PM

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,145 Posts

I would use the 98-02 F-body bellhousing and slave cylinder. That'll make getting a stage 1 or 2 clutch easy to shop for as well. Pretty sure a stock T56 will handle 450-500 horsepower. Main thing I would worry about is that 5/6 gear being loose on the countershaft if you buy the transmission used with high miles on it.
Old 01-20-2015, 01:02 PM
Teching In

Ok cool, I'm assuming I can get a used t56 and have it rebuilt for less than a new one correct?
Old 01-20-2015, 01:36 PM
TECH Resident

The T56 is not as cheap as it used to be. Typically I would say a used T56 is going for $1500+ at this moment. Typically the GTO T56 is considered to be a better version of the trans over the Fbody one.

As far as the price on the rebuild will depend on who is doing it and what parts they are using for the rebuild.

Bellhousing, I would go with an Fbody as noted above. I would contact some of the vendors for Monster and see what they recommend for the clutch.

For a 500rwhp build I would say that clutch choice, driving style, and whether or not the T56 has seen abuse will be the factors.
Old 01-20-2015, 01:46 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 2muchboostNY
The T56 is not as cheap as it used to be. Typically I would say a used T56 is going for $1500+ at this moment. Typically the GTO T56 is considered to be a better version of the trans over the Fbody one.

As far as the price on the rebuild will depend on who is doing it and what parts they are using for the rebuild.

Bellhousing, I would go with an Fbody as noted above. I would contact some of the vendors for Monster and see what they recommend for the clutch.

For a 500rwhp build I would say that clutch choice, driving style, and whether or not the T56 has seen abuse will be the factors.
Thanks for the info, it'll be a daily driver with some uh "spirited" driving every now and then, I'm still young and stupid so I get on it more than I should but I'm not going to beat it to death, with the advice from above I'll be going with a stage 2 clutch and an f body bellhousing, still trying to find a tranny
Old 01-20-2015, 02:15 PM
Teching In

Another thing I was wondering about is if I can use any t56 or only specific applications, for example I found one out of an 04 cobra would that work? Or one from a 2000 corvette?
Old 01-20-2015, 09:49 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Internal parts must change (mostly a "rebuild") to make either work with the 26 spoken GM clutch and a shifter that would work in your 76. Depending how dedicated you are to the console /shifter position makes a difference.
Old 01-21-2015, 01:13 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jmd
Internal parts must change (mostly a "rebuild") to make either work with the 26 spoken GM clutch and a shifter that would work in your 76. Depending how dedicated you are to the console /shifter position makes a difference.
If i can get away with it I'm going to buy the corvette transmission because its a decent enough price and has 56k on it, what all would I need to do to make it fit? In terms of shifter, crossmember, adapters and so forth

Last edited by 1976CamaroSwap; 01-21-2015 at 01:29 AM.
Old 01-21-2015, 07:19 AM

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,145 Posts

as far as the case goes, a T56 is a T56, so the transmission will bolt up to the bellhousing straight up. Crossmembers - If a company like advance adapters or texas speed doesn't make one, then just do it the old fashioned way - mock install everything, support the trans with a jack, make measurements, and fab one up.

I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think the F-body T56 shifter is farther back on the trans than the corvette T56. So, like jmd said, if you don't mind cutting a new hole in your floor, etc, get the trans you want and go at it. You can get adjustable motor mounts to allow about 1-2 inches of travel for the powertrain, so if you get pretty close to the right position, you can make it fit.

I'll give you an example that might help. Typically, if you put a LS motor (or any V8) into a S10 (like I did), the F-body stuff fits rather well overall. The shifter ended up coming through the cupholder in the console instead of where the shifter used to be. Since you're putting yours in an F-body, the shifter is likely toward the rear on the current transmission.

I live in Mesa, so if you want, I can come take a look with you and help with some measurements.
Old 01-21-2015, 08:54 AM
jmd
TECH Addict

A vette trans requires over $800 in new parts to convert to GTO clone and that's not rebuilt. So the one you're seeing with 56k isn't a deal.

The thread on her you need to read is the SSR Fbody T56 Hybrid project *if you are deadset on converting.

And if you want to talk hybrids in detail locally, I am not far.
Old 01-22-2015, 01:27 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
as far as the case goes, a T56 is a T56, so the transmission will bolt up to the bellhousing straight up. Crossmembers - If a company like advance adapters or texas speed doesn't make one, then just do it the old fashioned way - mock install everything, support the trans with a jack, make measurements, and fab one up.

I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think the F-body T56 shifter is farther back on the trans than the corvette T56. So, like jmd said, if you don't mind cutting a new hole in your floor, etc, get the trans you want and go at it. You can get adjustable motor mounts to allow about 1-2 inches of travel for the powertrain, so if you get pretty close to the right position, you can make it fit.

I'll give you an example that might help. Typically, if you put a LS motor (or any V8) into a S10 (like I did), the F-body stuff fits rather well overall. The shifter ended up coming through the cupholder in the console instead of where the shifter used to be. Since you're putting yours in an F-body, the shifter is likely toward the rear on the current transmission.

I live in Mesa, so if you want, I can come take a look with you and help with some measurements.
Yeah it's still the factory m21 in there so the shifter is at the very back I believe, I don't mind having to cut into the floor or fabbing anything my grandfather has a cnc plasma cutter and all the tools you could want so that makes it easy
Old 01-22-2015, 01:30 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jmd
A vette trans requires over $800 in new parts to convert to GTO clone and that's not rebuilt. So the one you're seeing with 56k isn't a deal.

The thread on her you need to read is the SSR Fbody T56 Hybrid project *if you are deadset on converting.

And if you want to talk hybrids in detail locally, I am not far.
Ah I gotcha thanks for that, Which cars should I keep an eye out for to snag a tranny from? 98-02 f-body, GTO, any others? I'm not really deadset on anything at this point except for it being a six speed
Old 01-22-2015, 09:10 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

The shifter position on that Cobra box would have been decent but you're still changing the input and front case plate. Probably yoke change too. Worth it for the right ratios though.

The F-body and GTO are ergonomically great but not ideal for the 2nd gen console.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:31 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jmd
The shifter position on that Cobra box would have been decent but you're still changing the input and front case plate. Probably yoke change too. Worth it for the right ratios though.

The F-body and GTO are ergonomically great but not ideal for the 2nd gen console.
Thinking about it I don't mind modding the console, will the shifter position need to be moved back for the f body and gto trannies? I wouldn't mind that because I could mold a cup holder in where the old one was
Old 02-01-2015, 04:20 AM
Staging Lane

Imo, get a 04-06 gto tranny, they're better than the fbody ones and dont need any modifications to work with your setup (besides shifter cup needing to be replaced). And on the clutch, get a monster stage 3 instead, its cheaper than the stage 2 on ws6store.com

Quick Reply: Best 5.3 6 speed option?