Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 Magnum Break-in Procedure / Fluid Rec

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2015, 08:40 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default T56 Magnum Break-in Procedure / Fluid Rec

Hey gents,

Tried doing a search but couldn't find any kind of solid procedure on this.

Wondering what sort of break-in schedule you guys have followed and what fluid and change interval I should be following for optimum component protection.

Thanks
Old 01-29-2015, 08:53 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

500 mile easy around town driving no long trips, you can change fluid at that point and have fun
Old 01-29-2015, 09:34 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

as far as fluid, what do you like?

based on some reading seems like a lot of people like amsoil atf or redline D4 (which is a dex III fluid)

https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produ...?code=ATFQT-EA
http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=51&pcid=9

Last edited by ckpitt55; 01-29-2015 at 09:41 AM.
Old 01-29-2015, 10:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 149 Likes on 96 Posts

The first fluid can be cheap non synthetic Dexron III. 500-1000 miles of in town break in miles and don't skip shift as you want the synchros to break in evenly. Try to go through as many gears as possible. This also helps your clutch break in properly. No powershifting.

After that I've been running Mobil1 ATF or Redline D4. Whichever is easier to source.
Old 01-29-2015, 05:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

ditto on what has been posted re: 500 mi procedure & fluid

don't know about the "magnum" but on my T56 there is a orange sticker on side that says fluid type (Dex 3).

I have found the Redline D4 to be very good. for transmissions built back when paper vs carbon blocker rings were used "synthetics" were not recommended. Your Magnum though I would assume has carbon blocker rings so synthetics should not be a problem

I think if you call Tremac they will say whatever is stickered on tranny as that is the fluid they have vetted and tested since they don't go through testing every available fluid which is why they say "no, use xxx".
Old 01-29-2015, 09:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ******

don't know about the "magnum" but on my T56 there is a orange sticker on side that says fluid type (Dex 3).

I have found the Redline D4 to be very good. for transmissions built back when paper vs carbon blocker rings were used "synthetics" were not recommended. Your Magnum though I would assume has carbon blocker rings so synthetics should not be a problem

I think if you call Tremac they will say whatever is stickered on tranny as that is the fluid they have vetted and tested since they don't go through testing every available fluid which is why they say "no, use xxx".
There are no orange stickers on the Magnum. Just an orange tag tied to it that says "WARNING NO FLUID"

Tremec's website will tell you Dexron for the Magnum.
Old 01-30-2015, 04:46 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ******

Turns out that the D4 is OK even for the earlier, 'paper' (cellulose composite actually) blockers as well, and the bolded above is the only reason WHY anyone says to not use it.

I, as well as many others (see Sam Strano's '99 SS E Street Prepared class autocross car with >300K miles on a totally abused, and un-rebuilt 'paper' blocker T56 using D4), have used D4.

In my case it was for the last 12 years and 150K miles of; DAILY street driving, autocross, and open tracking, with a few mid 12 second, 1/4 mile time trial runs thrown in for good measure.

Quick Reply: T56 Magnum Break-in Procedure / Fluid Rec