Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

New slave, leak from... Bleeder valve?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 10:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New slave, leak from... Bleeder valve?

So, let me say up front I'm new at this. This is my second foray into car repair /modding... I went from never having done my own oil change (yes, I'm embarrassed) straight into replacing motor mounts and installing long tube headers. But that was a different story. This second adventure was to replace and upgrade my clutch system.

I've been learning a lot from the forum; I can't say enough (good) about how much you guys have helped me, even though I think I've only ever posted once.

So after a weekend of putting in a new Monster Twin Disc and slave cylinder (plus pinion bearing and rear main seal), and spending waaaaayyyy too long fighting to stab the freshly rebuilt stage 3 tranny back in, I got the Tick master installed today. Feeling like it was almost over (woohoo!), I started bleeding the system (with Tick speed bleeder)... ... ... "Why is this taking so long?"

The fluid was never coming out of the bleeder line.I finally heard it was dripping out of the bell housing. Four-letter words cannot begin to convey my dismay and frustration....

It suddenly occurred to me then that I can't recall torquing down the bleeder line onto the slave cylinder. (Because, like I said -- new at this. Plus tired and dumb).

So that's probably my issue. I made sure it's not leaking from the line between master and slave. And I had the bleeder open, to be sure.

Anyway, thanks for listening to me whine. Getting to the point, two questions:

1. Has anyone out there found a way to get at the bleed fitting without dropping the transmission or cutting a hole in their floorboard?

2. Once I do get to it (probably by dropping the transmission...ugh. ) what's the torque spec for that sucker? I can't find one anywhere.
Old 03-19-2015, 11:12 PM

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Hate to say it, but you'll have to pick your poison. I torqued mine till it was tight. Didn't measure the torque. IF I remember right, it's a tapered fit, which usually means tight is tight
Old 03-19-2015, 11:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
Hate to say it, but you'll have to pick your poison. I torqued mine till it was tight. Didn't measure the torque. IF I remember right, it's a tapered fit, which usually means tight is tight
Sorry, did you say something? I was staring at your avatar.... Now I'm confused, you may be a guy, but if loving your avatar is wrong, I don't wanna be right. Lol

But seriously, Yeah.. I kinda figured as much. :\ Just thought I'd cast a line and see if anyone had done the impossible. Thanks, Darth.
Old 03-20-2015, 03:49 PM

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Lol! Thanks. My wife's a good sport about that. I did just think of this.... Maybe drop the trans cross member and let the trans hang. You might be able to get to it with a crescent wrench. Might have to bend the wrench. It's a thought.
Old 03-20-2015, 11:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does you błeeder have a copper seal washer or a tapered plug? I agree, tight but not too tight or else you will pop the threads in the slave
Old 03-21-2015, 12:24 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by badazz81z28
Does you błeeder have a copper seal washer or a tapered plug? I agree, tight but not too tight or else you will pop the threads in the slave
I think it's a copper washer. I'll drop the tranny tomorrow and make sure. I'm pretty sure I just hand tightened it and forgot to tighten it up.
Old 03-21-2015, 08:42 PM
Teching In

Confirmed. The flipping bleeder connection (with copper washer) was barely hand tight. Couldn't get in there with out dropping the tranny and pulling it out about 3 inches. I bled it while I could watch the slave this time. No more leaks. Whew!
Old 03-21-2015, 08:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tyrd_Fyrgus0n
Confirmed. The flipping bleeder connection (with copper washer) was barely hand tight. Couldn't get in there with out dropping the tranny and pulling it out about 3 inches. I bled it while I could watch the slave this time. No more leaks. Whew!
Good to hear!

Quick Reply: New slave, leak from... Bleeder valve?