Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

c5 t56 question swap to fbody

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 06:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default c5 t56 question swap to fbody

Does the shifter linkage that comes out of the front of the c5 t56 have to be cut or anything to swap over the fbody front cover?

Instead of buying a new cover, would it be possible to cut that linkage and weld up the opening on the front cover?
Old 04-01-2015, 05:43 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That just sounds like a bad idea all around. F-body uses different main shaft and tail housing btw
Old 04-01-2015, 10:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are different front covers and linkages. Its not as simple as cutting parts off. There is a more involved conversion involved. IMHI not worth the $ or trouble.
Old 04-01-2015, 01:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Reason I ask is because I'm doing a midengine . So I basically need the front end of an fbody/gto and the tail end of the corvette (to mount the diff to it).

So I'm wondering if itll be easier to start with a c5 t56, and replace the front cover and input shaft.. but the shifter linkage is in the way since it shifts from the front.... or an fbody One and replace the main shaft and tailhousing with a corvette one to mount the diff directly to it.

I hope I'm explaining it clear enough.
Old 04-01-2015, 03:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This conversion is possible. You would access the shift linkage at the port in the case and install a shifter there. Cutting the front rail is OK . It has a seal so weldment may not be required. If the boss is in the way, you may need to figure out plan B. Perhaps a welch plug AND shortened shift rail.
Old 04-01-2015, 07:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by calhoon
This conversion is possible. You would access the shift linkage at the port in the case and install a shifter there. Cutting the front rail is OK . It has a seal so weldment may not be required. If the boss is in the way, you may need to figure out plan B. Perhaps a welch plug AND shortened shift rail.

Awesome; that what I'd hope to hear. Yes, I plan on getting the midshift conversion to put it in the top port, like a lot of guys do that are swapping them in trucks.

Thanks all, I will report back with my findings, incase anyone else is interested.

Quick Reply: c5 t56 question swap to fbody