Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

What tranny fluid for my high HP LT1 T-56?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2015, 10:05 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What tranny fluid for my high HP LT1 T-56?

First, my T-56 is fully built. Don't know the power level, but I am guessing around 1,000 RWHP when the car is finished.

What transmission fluid should I use? I don't want it to leak, so I would like to stay away from synthetics. I was thinking AC Delco Synchromesh. Thoughts?
Old 06-06-2015, 02:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Personally, here is what I would suggest:

2 quarts of Synergyn Syngear II

Topped off with Mobil 1 Mercon V ATF.

I would also strongly suggest installing a oil pump system to redirect fluid from the rear of the unit to the front under acceleration.
Old 06-06-2015, 03:37 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by AMP-D
Personally, here is what I would suggest:

2 quarts of Synergyn Syngear II

Topped off with Mobil 1 Mercon V ATF.

I would also strongly suggest installing a oil pump system to redirect fluid from the rear of the unit to the front under acceleration.
I read somewhere else of this combo also. Naw on the oil pump system. Just because it has that much power doesn't mean it's gonna hook or run low 8 second quarter mile times. It will be fine for the use I will put it through. This isn't the first time a stout power making combo has been used with a well built T-56. I've never heard of non-track cars having any issues due to lack of proper lubrication and needing an external pump before.

Did some more external research. Think I am going to go with the Synchromesh fluid. Thank you for the reply though.
Old 06-08-2015, 06:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

GF2000 and Mobil 1 is what I will be running. You may want to reconsider the fluid pump. Why do you think the new Tremec units have a pump built in?
Old 06-08-2015, 07:06 AM
TECH Regular

I have never heard of a T-56 failing because of inadequate fluid flow. It's possible I am just un-informed if this is a common problem (I am not saying I am an expert so it's possible this is the case). I'm not saying it would hurt anything, but is it really necissary?
Old 06-08-2015, 07:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's not about hooking off the line. First couple gears are short(sloshing). It's the 4th and 5th gear pulls in the half mile or on the freeway that can burn the input shaft bearing.

Assuming you are using carbon blockers, Redline ATF and Amsoil ATF have worked very well for me. It's an LS1 T-56 but they're darn near identical anyway. Syncromesh has not worked well for me.
Old 06-08-2015, 08:14 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Exidous
It's not about hooking off the line. First couple gears are short(sloshing). It's the 4th and 5th gear pulls in the half mile or on the freeway that can burn the input shaft bearing.

Assuming you are using carbon blockers, Redline ATF and Amsoil ATF have worked very well for me. It's an LS1 T-56 but they're darn near identical anyway. Syncromesh has not worked well for me.
Funny, I have heard nearly the opposite. People having better luck with the synchromesh than the Amsoil and ATF.

I ran the bone stock T-56 with 700 RWHP for years doing countless highway and high speed pulls and had zero issues ever. I guess it "could" happen, but I'm not convinced it is a likely occurance.

Now my T-56 is fully built with all the high dollar internals.
Old 06-08-2015, 10:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Stock and built are two totally different animals. The paper blockers love syncromesh and usually grind with synthetics. How many folks on here are still running paper blockers? The carbon ones like synthetics much more. You mentioned fully built so I assumed carbon blockers.

As always, YMMV but all the folks I've talked to personally and based on my own experience leans me very far away from syncromesh. You may find that regular old Dexron III ATF works just peachy. It has worked pretty well in mine but was still a bit more notchy than I'd like. Redline and Amsoil were smoother in my trans. Bought my blockers from thegearbox.
Old 06-08-2015, 12:08 PM
TECH Regular

Actually it was from people with built T-56's that I was referring to.

But to be fair, I bought the fully built T-56, and I'm not sure what type of blockers I actually have, but it's a good friend I've known for years and I know that it was a fully built unit.

Last edited by SpeedJunkee; 06-08-2015 at 12:48 PM.
Old 06-08-2015, 04:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

99.9% chance you've got the better carbon blockers. HUGE upgrade over the paper ones.
Old 06-08-2015, 05:50 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Exidous
Syncromesh has not worked well for me.
The RP Synchromax is the ONLY fluid that has not worked well for me, on my old, still cellulose composite ("paper") blocker T56.

In fact, it the blockers/synchros were grinding sooooo badly in EVERY gear that I dumped it IMMEDIATELY after a short drive, wasting almost $80.00!
Old 06-08-2015, 10:56 PM
TECH Regular

Great. Well now I am thoroughly UNSURE. I have ordered the synchromesh, but not paid for it yet. It is $80 plus tax, which I will pay if I KNOW it will work, but now I am second guessing myself.

The trans is built. Cost around $3k back in the day, but I am literally 3rd owner of it and don't know what all is used in it (although I drove it in my buddies previous TA and it was amazing). He had it for not too many miles and never changed the fluid and he does not know what was in it.

I don't really want to use synthetic fluid in it just because the one time I did use that the T-56 I used to have leaked, and I don't want a leaking trans.

So, Exidous, what is it you recommend given my criteria? Finding something locally would be a big bonus. Good fluid is expensive enough without having to pay shipping on top of it.
Old 06-09-2015, 01:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would honestly try cheap ole Dexron III. It's cheap and works for most folks. It won't be great but to achieve said greatness(smooth shifting) gets expensive as every trans is different. I will admit I have not tried the Royal Purple syncromax. Only the standard syncromesh you find at the local o'reillys. The Redline ATF is also ~45$ for three quarts.
Old 06-09-2015, 04:55 AM
TECH Regular

I don't mind spending the money if it's worth it. I just don't want to spend the cash then have it leak on me.

What about the Amsoil?
Old 06-09-2015, 07:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

I use the Amsoil and it's a little better than the Redline.
Old 06-09-2015, 11:10 AM
TECH Regular

I think Amsoil may be the direction I go. I can't find it anywhere locally unfortunately.

I called RPM transmissions and they said Royal Purple Synchromax is what they would reccomend, but again that is back to being fully synthetic, and there's already been someone in this thread saying it was very bad for his T-56.

Last edited by SpeedJunkee; 06-09-2015 at 12:00 PM.
Old 06-09-2015, 12:11 PM
TECH Regular

Looking even further, it seems Amsoil is not only impossible to find locally (which sucks, and I know Oriellys Auto Parts used to sell it), and it's very hard to find online without dropping almost it's equal price in shipping.

I did manage to find some Redline MTF at a local speed shop though in my searches, and I think I am going to go that route. What a D-dance this has been! From the sounds of things the speed shop sells a ton of the Redline Transmission fluid so hopefully it ends up working well. Not a bad price either at $14 a quart (compared to the $20 a quart Synchromesh).

Thanks for bearing with me and helping me out info wise everyone.
Old 06-09-2015, 06:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackbirdws6
GF2000 and Mobil 1 is what I will be running. You may want to reconsider the fluid pump. Why do you think the new Tremec units have a pump built in?
Great choice. GF2000 is manufactured by Synergyn, the same exact stuff we sell and recommend for use in high HP setups. Usually 1 quart of Syngear and 2 3/4 quarts of Mobil 1 Mercon V is ideal for street use. In extreme use, 2 quarts of Syngear and 1 3/4 quarts of Mobil 1 Mercon V. If it starts to scratch gears from the oil being too slick, drain and dilute the fluid with more Mobil 1 which is why we usually only put 1 quart in.
Old 06-10-2015, 01:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Remember, you want Redline ATF not MTF. Amsoil can be bought from their site. The "membership" is $10 I think for new accounts and it's annual($20 normally). The prices are freaking awesome using the membership and their shipping is great too!

The Amsoil discount for membership is roughly 25%!

http://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produc...?code=ATFQT-EA

That's what I use and it's just under $9 per qt with discount. I also use their oils for my diff and any oil changes I may have.

Last edited by Exidous; 06-10-2015 at 01:34 AM.
Old 06-10-2015, 08:00 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks Exidous. A buddy of mine who is about to visit has a good lead on some Amsoil and about $10 a quart was what he told me he could get so now I am going that route. If I had a need to buy it yearly or more I would do the membership. But honestly even when my pile is running (which it is not right now) I wouldn't put enough miles on it to change the tranny fluid more than once every few years at very most. And the engine oil I need to run I get locally for a killer price on a very specific weight and high zinc formula I need for my specific setup. So it would not be in my best interest for the membership, but thanks for letting me know about it.

Quick Reply: What tranny fluid for my high HP LT1 T-56?