Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

HELP! t56 Countershaft Extension assembly issues.

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 05:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! t56 Countershaft Extension assembly issues.

I am trying and failing at rebuilding my T56 trans.

I have been working my way through the assembly process but I have really mucked something up.

I have assembled and shimmed the input shaft and counter shaft (0.000 and preload 0.002 respectively) and bolted the man case to the front plate.

I go to check and set the Countershaft Extension endplay and there was none! Zero endplay WITHOUT a shim in the tail section.

On top of that, when the revers lever is placed on the shaft it is touching the 5th gear drive. So clearly something is very wrong. It's clear the whole extension shaft is sitting to proud of where it should be.

When I completely dissemble the extension shaft and lay the bare shaft in it's position it still looks like it is sitting to high.

I can't see how the counter shaft could be causing this issue unless the countershaft bearing is incorrect or improperly seated as once it is in its race that surface would dictate the zero mark for the extension shaft.

Check out the pics. Can someone confirm, the bearing p/n for the bearing on the top of the counter shaft and its placement? Beyond that, I haven't a clue what else it could be.

I need help, PLEASE!!!

Is there supposte to be that much space between the top of the bearing that the recesses of the countershaft notches?

Bearing IS seated all the way down on the Countershaft

Looking down at the countershaft with housing bolted up. Can anyone confirm the bearing number there?

Shouldn't these two gears be flush to one another?

Shouldn't these two gears be flush to one another?

Here you can see the revers lever contacting 5th gear. If I were to install the snap ring onto the fork its would be wedged up against the 5th gear.
Also it LOOKS like the 5th gear is sitting too high compared to the surface of the case. can someone confirm that?

The thrust washer that I BELIEVE goes between the Countershaft and the Countershaft Extension shaft... At least its what I have been using

Here you can see the revers fork (swung around out of position) sitting slightly lower than the surface that the 5th gear would be flush against (the shaft is bare in this pic, illustrating that the fork would be hitting the gear if it was assembled.

Last edited by roust84; 06-07-2015 at 05:21 PM.
Old 06-07-2015, 06:23 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

If your rearmost tapered bearing shim isn't falling (use assembly lube,) then get the gears, synchros, forks, and spacers off the extension shaft.

Install it with it's rearmost bearing only.

Shimmable? Good, then start piecing it together.

Last edited by jmd; 06-07-2015 at 06:55 PM.
Old 06-07-2015, 06:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found my mistake a few mins after posting this. Go figure. I was pulling my hair out over this throughout the weekend.

turns out the sink row wasn't sitting on the counter shaft extension. I was spinning and spinning it but I just was being stubborn. this little snafu brought to my attention that the syncro sleeve teeth are totally jacked up and that was part of the problem. so a simple alignment issue highlighted a badly worn part.

Its seats now

Last edited by roust84; 06-07-2015 at 06:55 PM.

Quick Reply: HELP! t56 Countershaft Extension assembly issues.