Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T-56 won't fully install

Old 06-22-2015, 09:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T-56 won't fully install

I've been trying to install my transmission for two weeks now and still no progress. When I first started to install it, it would go on but leave about 1/4 inch left and with as much force as 2 guys can put on it, it won't slide in rest of the way. So I decided to install a new pilot hearing, used linement tool putting everything on and went to put the Tranny in and it still has 1/4 inch left. I check the dowels, and line them and have my buddy push on it and it just doesn't budge any farther forwards. Can anybody think of anything that might be holding up?
Old 06-22-2015, 09:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Re-Seat the clutch, make sure you push the alignment tool IN when torquing down the PP. It could also help to drop the rear of the engine down and angle the transmission up when stabbing it in. Sounds like you're still binding on the pilot bushing to me, that usually means the clutch plate isn't lined up.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:39 PM
Teching In

I had thought that there would be more than 1/4 inch if it wasn't in the pilot bearing yet.
Old 06-22-2015, 11:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,384 Likes on 873 Posts

Originally Posted by hrcslam
Re-Seat the clutch, make sure you push the alignment tool IN when torquing down the PP. It could also help to drop the rear of the engine down and angle the transmission up when stabbing it in. Sounds like you're still binding on the pilot bushing to me, that usually means the clutch plate isn't lined up.
Agreed with the above...

Andrew
Old 06-23-2015, 12:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

OP

assuming your dowel pins are not corroded or bent it sounds like classic disc mis-alignment. Don't try and pull tranny in using bolts, you will very likely kill a pilot bearing...or push it deep into the crank as a result

Losen PP and use some pressure "straight" in on the alignment tool as you tighten the PP bolts until the disc is securely held. Run your fingers around the edge of the clutch disc & PP. There should be an even edge all the way around. If one side sticks in/out further..not aligned right. The input shaft is already through disc splines but if the disc is not dead nuts aligned the input shaft catches the edge of the pilot bearing/bushing preventing it from going in.

also the angle of motor & tranny need to be = so raising/lowering motor and the angle of the tranny jack is needed.

Most of us have had to deal with this alignment issue, frustrating, but when everything is in alignment..the tranny should slide right in
Old 06-23-2015, 01:57 PM
Teching In

Hmm I was hoping I wouldn't have to pry off that damn bell housing for the third time but looks like I'll give that a try. Sounds to me like the plastic alignment tools aren't any good.
Old 06-23-2015, 02:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I stab the transmission and bell housing separate. it makes handling the transmission a bit easier. Top bellhousing bolts can be gotten from inside the car through the shifter hole and some long extensions
Old 06-23-2015, 08:15 PM

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Originally Posted by Taspeed
I stab the transmission and bell housing separate. it makes handling the transmission a bit easier. Top bellhousing bolts can be gotten from inside the car through the shifter hole and some long extensions
This is how I did it. It didn't occur to me the bell housing was on in the OP. It can be very difficult to line up with the BH on the transmission. But check for corrosion or debris on the dowels and in the holes.
Old 06-24-2015, 01:24 AM
ADM
TECH Resident

Remove the bell housing and start over so you can do this right.

Install clutch disc with alignment tool.

Align pressure plate on flywheel dowel pins and start engaging 2 opposite bolts.

Engage remaining pressure plate bolts.

Start fastening the bolts in a cross pattern to get equal load distribution as you tighten.

While fastening down the pressure plate bolts, constantly keep sliding the alignment tool in and out (make sure the tool bottoms out in the crank to ensure full and correct alignment) until the pressure plate is flush with flywheel and you cannot tighten them any more with a ratchet. This will ensure the clutch disc has remained aligned throughout the process. If the tool is hard to pull or push back through the clutch disc splines, it means it is out of alignment.

Torque the bolts to the required spec. Please don't forget to use blue Loctite on the pressure plate bolts prior to installation.

Check free movement of the alignment tool after torquing the bolts to confirm the clutch disc is correctly aligned and has not shifted.
Old 06-24-2015, 04:29 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You didn't specify if the bell housing is on the trans or on the engine already, but on my cars it's easier to pull the trans first then the bell housing so I'll assume you're doing that.

Between my two t56 cars, I've had the transmissions out 7 or 8 times. I've never been able to get the trans to touch the bell housing. Every time I've had to pull it in the last little bit with the bolts. The throwout bearing touches the pressure plate before the trans and bell housing meet.
Old 06-24-2015, 10:33 AM
Staging Lane

Be very careful with pulling in the transmission in with the bolts. You could damage the pilot bearing. Make sure clutch is 100% aligned.
Old 06-24-2015, 10:58 AM
10 Second Club

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

I don't know where you are at on this, but take off the throwout and slave and see if the trans will slide in. There is pressure from the throwout spring against the pp fingers and that may be your 1/4".
Old 06-24-2015, 11:21 AM
Staging Lane

Another thing, open bleeder on slave. So it compresses easier.
Old 06-25-2015, 11:53 PM
Teching In

Finally got it in today. Had to take the pressure plate back off and hold the pilot alignment tool in and up and then torque down the bolts and it slid right in and out.
Old 06-26-2015, 08:16 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Thornton98
Finally got it in today. Had to take the pressure plate back off and hold the pilot alignment tool in and up and then torque down the bolts and it slid right in and out.
Glad to hear.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: T-56 won't fully install