Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Mcleod RXT and slave shims

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 07:48 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Mcleod RXT and slave shims

Having issues with a new install of a Mcleod RXT , Mcleod steel flywheel , new GM slave. Clutch is not fully disengaging, with pedal fully compressed car wants to creep before fully in gear. Fails rev test also. My mistake for not checking to see if slave needed a shim. Mcleod Tech said there RXT clutch is built to OEM spec and WOULD NOT need a shim and my problem is hydraulic. Is a Tick master needed ? Should I pull back and measure for shim ? (Tick shims in hand)

System was bled with a speed bleeder right into reservoir for 20 min to make sure all air was out but still mushy first inch of travel.
Old 06-26-2015, 12:02 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Always measure no matter what anyone tells you, now you know lol. I ended up with a .125" shim on my rxt with a qt bell and gm slave.
Old 06-26-2015, 12:26 PM
ss1
TECH Fanatic

When your pedal is all the way up and you push it down, do you feel it go easy at first and then all of a sudden get stiffer? That's easy part is the throwout bearing closing up the gap between the bearing and the fingers. If this is excessive and the pedal travels almost all the way down then you probably need a shim.

The only way to really tell for sure is to measure and look for apprx .100" gap. Don't forget to pull the spring off of the throwout bearing before measuring to the face of the transmission.
Old 08-17-2015, 10:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Always good to measure...
Old 08-31-2015, 06:31 PM
Teching In

FIXED..... Installed Tick Master and fixed issues. Never pulled trans back out to check if shims were needed. I hope this helps someone with same issues.
Old 09-09-2015, 07:44 AM
TECH Resident

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Mcleod Rst I just installed yesterday needed a .122 shim. For a complete and full disengagement you should always measure. You'll have a clutch that will have a long lasting life.
I have installed a lot of clutches and I have never run across one that didn't need a shim.
Glad the master solved your issue. I have always used Gm masters with Zero issues. No need for the "drill mod".
Old 09-09-2015, 03:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dgcustomz
Mcleod Rst I just installed yesterday needed a .122 shim. For a complete and full disengagement you should always measure. You'll have a clutch that will have a long lasting life.
I have installed a lot of clutches and I have never run across one that didn't need a shim.
Glad the master solved your issue. I have always used Gm masters with Zero issues. No need for the "drill mod".
Interesting to note. I have about 10,000 miles on my RST and only recently started been having mild disengagement issues. Replaced the master with a Tick master and still hasn't fixed the problem. Not having any of the other obvious problems that point to a clear cause (no fluid leaks, firm pedal, still shifts smooth at full throttle but fails the disengagement test, adjusted the Tick MC many, many, many times, etc.).

Forgive my ignorance to the mechanical side of things, but I'll ask the question -- is it possible that I didn't need a shim at the time of initial installation and now after 10K miles of use there is a larger air gap due to wear? Just trying to understand all of the moving parts here. Thanks.
Old 09-09-2015, 03:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by superduty450
FIXED..... Installed Tick Master and fixed issues. Never pulled trans back out to check if shims were needed. I hope this helps someone with same issues.
Thanks superduty450 -- glad to hear your issue was solved with the Tick master.
Old 09-09-2015, 03:57 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Midnight02

Forgive my ignorance to the mechanical side of things, but I'll ask the question -- is it possible that I didn't need a shim at the time of initial installation and now after 10K miles of use there is a larger air gap due to wear? Just trying to understand all of the moving parts here. Thanks.
Air gap actually gets smaller as the clutch disc wears. You may have one of the discs hanging up on the floater plate.
Old 09-10-2015, 09:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jmm98LS1
Air gap actually gets smaller as the clutch disc wears. You may have one of the discs hanging up on the floater plate.
Thanks jmm98LS1.
Old 09-14-2015, 09:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i have same problem with same setup

Dude i have the same dam problem right now and has been driving me effin nuts..... im running the exact same setup as u (rxt clutch, mcleod flywheel, gm slave, tick master bleeder line) but with the tilton master cylinder part #75-812U which is 13/16 bore right now.

Prior to install i checked all my clearances and ended up with a .113 shim from tick, i just took everything apart to see if the floater disk was binding but it wasnt....i was able to spin floater disc freely and smoothly.....

At this point i believe i do have a hydralic issue i just dont know where to start, but after reading this thread your making me want to just go say eff it and buy a tick master and go from there.

What tick are you running the 98-02 master...do you have a part #? Is there only one model tick offers?

Anybody who can help me with some helpful advise or info based on the same symptoms described by superduty450 would be greatly appreciated.

Originally Posted by superduty450

Quick Reply: Mcleod RXT and slave shims