Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

99 camaro t56 slave?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 08:53 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99 camaro t56 slave?

Hello all, I finally got around to installing my tick master cylinder and new slave cylinder and was curious as to how the internal slave works? I've replaced an external slave cylinder before, but never an internal. I was bench bleeding the new system and got most of the air out of the system but then I noticed the slave was leaking fresh fluid all over the floor (bleeder valve was tightly closed) So my question is, is it not supposed to be bench bled? Is the pressure plate supposed to put pressure on the O ring inside the plastic spring holder? Or did the autoparts store sell me a bad slave? Thanks.
Old 06-26-2015, 09:11 PM

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,145 Posts

I'm going to ask a dumb question so forgive me, but did you shorten the rod on the tick master as far as it would go and start from there or did you install the pedal at stock height?

The tick unit moves more than twice the fluid of the stock master. It is possible that the seal on the slave blew out due to over-stroke. Sort of what your description sounds like. The stock GM slave is sufficient most of the time in general.
Old 06-26-2015, 10:50 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
I'm going to ask a dumb question so forgive me, but did you shorten the rod on the tick master as far as it would go and start from there or did you install the pedal at stock height?

The tick unit moves more than twice the fluid of the stock master. It is possible that the seal on the slave blew out due to over-stroke. Sort of what your description sounds like. The stock GM slave is sufficient most of the time in general.
I did shorten it but not all the way to stock length. I was also wondering if that's what happened. Guess I need to go buy a new one?
Old 06-27-2015, 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by MajeSStic_
I did shorten it but not all the way to stock length. I was also wondering if that's what happened. Guess I need to go buy a new one?
Probably. What I'll advise with a tick is to set it to its lowest position and keep lengthening the rod until you can just barely shift gears smoothly with the car off. Then start the car and get to barely shifts smoothly with engine running. Then test drive that setting. It's usually close and it's usually about an inch lower than the brake pedal
Old 06-27-2015, 09:05 AM
Staging Lane

Probably. What I'll advise with a tick is to set it to its lowest position and keep lengthening the rod until you can just barely shift gears smoothly with the car off. Then start the car and get to barely shifts smoothly with engine running. Then test drive that setting. It's usually close and it's usually about an inch lower than the brake pedal
Will do. Thanks for the help!
Old 06-27-2015, 10:37 AM
Staging Lane

Also, how much should the slave move? It would only move maybe quater of an inch before it started spewing fluid everywhere.
Old 06-27-2015, 02:17 PM

The gm slave has 13mm stroke. If it's only moving 1/4" it's not right.
Old 06-27-2015, 10:32 PM
Staging Lane

The gm slave has 13mm stroke. If it's only moving 1/4" it's not right.
Well, as of now, everything is working the way it should. I took the slave back and got a new one and it was working properly. Thanks for the help!
Old 06-28-2015, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by MajeSStic_
Well, as of now, everything is working the way it should. I took the slave back and got a new one and it was working properly. Thanks for the help!
hey man, you had the hard part. Glad it's all sorted out

Quick Reply: 99 camaro t56 slave?