Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Did I completely screw up my T-56?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 04:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Did I completely screw up my T-56?

I did some upgrades to my T-56 a little over a year ago, adding bronze shift forks, and a new 2nd gear and 2nd gear blocker ring.

I have noticed the trans is a little less easy to shift now than it was before. It feels like the sycro don't grab like before, and I have better luck shifting if I match the engine and trans speed during shifts.

I think the problem is because I used white assembly lube rather than the special auto trans assembly lube.

Assuming this is the problem, could I flush the trans with something and refill with new fluid?
I was toying with the idea of draining about half the fluid, and then add a quart or so of stodard solvent and run the trans with the car on the jack stands for 1 minute. Drain the crap out and add some ATF and run that for a few minutes and draining and refill with fresh ATF.

Maybe the better idea would be to drain and refill with some ATF and add a little friction modifier to it..

Does anyone have some opinions on this?

Thank you!
Old 07-14-2015, 02:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can try and flush it. Trans assembly lube exists for a reason. It breaks down into the trans fluids without messing with it's properties.
Old 07-14-2015, 04:48 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Exidous, I might give that a try.

Quick Reply: Did I completely screw up my T-56?