Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Mcleod RXT Install - Help before i damage something

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 11:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Mcleod RXT Install - Help before i damage something

So im going about my business installing my new RXT, and am running into some problems:

Note: none of this is in car, engine is sitting on on supports on ground. Am i able to take proper measurements without depressing the clutch?

I installed a new Fidanza aluminum flywheel (has a green friction surface on it)
I follow the booklet in the RXT manual as per install instructions. The Bottom disc does not have a sticker or any indication as to what is the flywheel side that i can find on it, but it is set up as it was layed out in the box. The portion with "Bottom" written on i is facing towards the rear end of the car.

I bolted the adapter ring to the flywheel and torqued to 22 ft lbs. I can get a 0.020 gauge between the pad and the adapter, but its tight, and when inserted sort of looks like it pushes the disc towards the flywheel. The disc rotates "freely" but it does not freewheel, you can hear it against the adapter/flywheel, but it does rotate.

I did not remove the floater ring at all, is it possible it could be too tight from factory?

What the hell do i torque this adapter to? I'm finding stuff saying anywhere from 65 ft lbs down to 20. Help, i dont want to install this and have it not work!

Last edited by BigBadWhitey; 07-14-2015 at 12:09 AM.
Old 07-14-2015, 07:15 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Call mcleod and they can tell you which side of the bottom disk faces the flywheel. It is very important that you orient both disks the right way.

In the small sheet mcleod includes in the box are all the torque specs. If you dont have it here it is.
http://assets.cjponyparts.com/skin/f...ll_mcleod3.pdf

adapter ring bolts are factory specs for what would normally be the pressure plate bolts. this is 52 ft lbs

the disk making contact is normal it just has to rotate freely but 20 ft lbs is way too low
Old 07-14-2015, 12:28 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

>> portion with "Bottom" written on i is facing towards the rear end of the car.<<

The disc's should be marked 'top' & 'bottom' and installed so you can read it. If they're not marked the flat side installs toward the FW with the raised side out. , same with the top disc, falt side toward the floater, raised toward the PP.

If they're not marked, you can measure the disc's and the thinner disc is the bottom, the top disc is the thicker one.

As long as the lower disc spins, you're good.

I torque the 3 floater bolts to 25 ft-lbs, PP to 45 and adapter ring to 60.

Old 07-14-2015, 04:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have the top and bottom disc correct. Its just their orientation in relation to which or their faces is towards the flywheel.
Both diacs are.facing such that I can read "top" and "bottom" if viewed from the rear of the engine
Old 07-14-2015, 08:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Something isnt right. When I install the pressure plate, I have xero clearance between the discs. What could this be?
Old 07-14-2015, 09:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok so took everything off an reinstalled
Flywheel, torqued down
"Bottom" disc in with "bottom" visible
Adapterplate and floated installed overtop, torqued to 52ft lbs

Checked for clearance, I can get a 0.015 in fairly cleanly, 0.017 snug, 0.020 pushes the floater plate out a hair when I push the gauge in.
Installed "top" disc with "top" facing outwards
Installed pressureplate, torqued to 20ft lbs.
All of the fingers are clearly beneath the lip of the pressure plate. Do I need to torque it further at this point??

Quick Reply: Mcleod RXT Install - Help before i damage something