Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

***ATTENTION LS1 OWNERS*** Be Warned!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 06:58 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ***ATTENTION LS1 OWNERS*** Be Warned!!!

I just wanted to warn any and all ls1 fbody owners. DO NOT install a "Perfection" (advance auto parts) slave cylinder!! These things are junk in every sense of the word. This part has held up my project and now have to drop the trans AGAIN due to faulty design. Please be warned do not buy perfection parts!! Just trying to saver fellow ls1 owners from massive headaches and frustration. Taking part back for a refund and buying a part that is worthy of installing in my ride. Taking suggestions as well. What's everybdoy running? I heard that autozone carries a duralast slave that is basically the same stamping as a GM part. Thanks guys ahead of time for suggestions. Oh yeah again NEVER buy perfection they are far from perfect!!!!
Old 07-28-2015, 09:36 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

NEWSFLASH - This is old news.

Many have been bitten by this problem (I am one.) and there are many many threads on the site about it. We have all been warned - GM Slaves are the way to go.

If you have the tools and means to where dropping the transmission is not that big of a deal, it might make sense to try the Duralast. (There is a thread somewhere here that shows how to confirm the stamping on the Duralast.) If not, I would think it would be worth the extra insurance to plunk down for a true GM part here so you'll know that it will be right the next time you put everything together.
Old 08-01-2015, 02:50 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone had any issues with the Tick master cylinder?
Old 08-01-2015, 05:06 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by B_Mack15
Has anyone had any issues with the Tick master cylinder?
I don't know of anyone that has, and I haven't had a probem with mine. They use a $90 tilton master cylinder, the rest is just there to make it work in the car. If the cylinder ever fails you can replace just that, no need to spend another $320 for the whole thing.

For slave cylinders, last time I bought one Napa still had AP Racing slave cylinders for something like $70. It's the exact part GM used and 1/2 the price of what you'll pay most places. Other parts stores may have them. I would just call around and have them open the box and see if it says AP Racing on it.
Old 08-01-2015, 01:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by t_raven
I don't know of anyone that has, and I haven't had a probem with mine. They use a $90 tilton master cylinder, the rest is just there to make it work in the car. If the cylinder ever fails you can replace just that, no need to spend another $320 for the whole thing.

For slave cylinders, last time I bought one Napa still had AP Racing slave cylinders for something like $70. It's the exact part GM used and 1/2 the price of what you'll pay most places. Other parts stores may have them. I would just call around and have them open the box and see if it says AP Racing on it.
This. The Luk cylinders there are $66 and you can find them at rock auto LS256B Part number and take that to advance auto and they'll beat the price as well. My AP slave was $44 shipped to my house.

Quick Reply: ***ATTENTION LS1 OWNERS*** Be Warned!!!