Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch going bad after just 15,000 miles?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 12:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Clutch going bad after just 15,000 miles?

I threw a GM Parts Direct LS7 clutch kit in my car with a new pilot bearing and slave cylinder into my car a little over two years ago, I can feel it in the pedals that something is not quite right and it is definitely replicable...

Happens more often when the car is still cool, warmed up but has not been driven longer than a mile or two.

Only after gear change, between 2.5k-3.25k after upshifting, never downshifting.

It does not happen when loading it down low in 5th or 6th gear or at wide open throttle.

I had an issue a few weeks back where the car would not shift into fourth gear at redline (6.8k in my case), it felt like the shift gate was not open even with the clutch at the floor, it finally went into fourth after a few attempts to lightly pull it back.

The slipping seems to have started after one day where I had drove to work and was rather rough on the car, took my exit, put it in fourth and drove normally down to the stop light. While the car was in fourth, it was in the said sweet spot and would hesitate before it would grab.

I'm not rough on the car at all, I know that I don't burn the clutch up getting it into gear and I know I am nowhere near the maximum allowance of power on this clutch lol

Is it really possible that my LS7 clutch is on it's way out or is there an underlying issue within the hydraulics that are the culprit, any ideas?
Old 08-09-2015, 02:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What master cylinder do you have? My clutch is doing that now with the stock POS master, I know the LS7 needs a bigger bore MC since it's designed for it. Could be your problem, or maybe a slave problem, there's only like 4 components it could be honestly, so narrowing it down shouldn't be too hard.
Old 08-09-2015, 11:21 AM

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Shifting issues at high rpm almost always end up being master cylinder related
Old 08-09-2015, 12:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Looks like then I will be ordering a new master cylinder!!

Tick master it is!
Old 08-09-2015, 12:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Not shifting at high RPM's is most likely a hydraulics issue as Darth said. But if your clutch is slipping like you said in your OP, that's a issue with the clutch itself.
Old 08-09-2015, 12:24 PM

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Stock type clutches have a self adjusting mechanism that can get hung. When it does you lose pressure plate performance. Is it possible at 15K? Yes.

Generally I recommend going to aftermarket clutches to ditch that mechanism and get soli predictable behavior.

If you've ever had the pedal not come all the way back up, this is also a result of the adjuster going soft or getting stuck
Old 08-09-2015, 03:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It's honestly rather strange, the RPM's don't bump up like a stereotypical slipping clutch, but I can feel it in the pedals.

I am not too familiar with clutch issues, I might not be describing it in the best manner but it almost feels like it the tires are spinning when you slam it into the next gear.

Quick Reply: Clutch going bad after just 15,000 miles?