Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T-56 front plate

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 04:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T-56 front plate

I am currently changing a LT T-56 to a LS t-56 to use in my '68 Camaro. I have ordered and gotten some parts in, but I have a question I'm hoping someone can help with. After the purchase of the adapter plate, LS input shaft, etc. I'm told I need the LS front plate (some call it the intermediate housing) because the LT has a throw out bearing collar made on to it, and the McLeod adapter plate I purchased has the collar bolted onto it. The only reason I can see I need this LS plate is because the adapter won't bolt up flush with the front of the trans because of the LT collar sticking out too far. Could I not just cut this collar down below the face of the transmission so the adapter would fit against the trans? It looks like this would be a easy fix, and save a couple of hundred dollars.
If anyone has any advice, I'm listening..

Thanks,
Carl
Old 08-15-2015, 07:18 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Yes. You're not using the features of the plate if you're using the antique bellhousing, redundant point of alignment plate and bolt-on throwout bearing sleeve.

Your chosen option isn't the best option with regards to floor clearance, however.
Old 08-15-2015, 08:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

? in regards to floor clearance.

Quick Reply: T-56 front plate