Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Converting CTSV T56 to GTO problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 09:33 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Converting CTSV T56 to GTO problems

So I have my T56 at a reputable shop a few towns over to get changed over to GTO/ F- body spec. I thought I had all the parts to do the swap, tailhousing, main shaft, shift rails, detents, etc. After the first try to put everything together it seems the rail I got might not have been right because the trans is not operating correctly and is "falling out of gear" or something along those lines. So after procuring another one I have two different rails... Does anyone have a diffinitive picture of a F-Body shift rail?
I heard on another site that the front plate is also necessary to do the conversion, Is that true?
I'm getting tired of not having this thing back together and done, and am considering just breaking down and getting a magnum T-56 that I really don't want to pay for right now. Any help, pictures, etc would be very greatly appreciated!!
Mike
Old 09-04-2015, 02:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Mike, send me a text. 817-888-4657. I'll send you some pics of what you need.
Old 09-06-2015, 08:59 PM
Staging Lane

Sounds like you want to sell me something... I'll bite though just out of curiosity.
Originally Posted by dgcustomz
Mike, send me a text. 817-888-4657. I'll send you some pics of what you need.
Old 09-06-2015, 10:30 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Some people need a "reputable shop" to feel like things will get done right.

Oh wait.
Old 09-07-2015, 08:40 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jmd

Oh wait.
Most shops that I've contacted didn't even want to take it on and just tried to sell me a Magnum, or Tr. He is doing his best and will guarantee the work once it gets figured out. He's probably put it together and taken it apart 3-4 times already and is still sticking to his original quote. I literally brought him a CTSV trans and a big box of other parts and expected him to get it done. He hasn't ever raised his voice or tried asking for more money and is doing his due diligence to contact other shops and vendors as to what the potential problem is. I have no complaints other than it not getting done sooner. Thank you for your insightful, tech savy response and for the free bump in any case. Maybe that will prompt someone who actually knows something about this matter to come in with actual knowledge. Good day sir.
Old 09-07-2015, 10:42 AM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

You're welcome.

The insightful information is in the PDF in this thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...ock-parts.html

I've done hybrid builds for shops who were over their head. Similar to your guy.
Thanks for asking.
Old 09-07-2015, 05:48 PM
Staging Lane

I'm very familiar with Mike's write up on that transmission and what's involved in it. It however doesn't answer the problem that I have which I'm told is most likely the main shift rail in which have been backordered for quite some time and I was forced to try to get the correct one from a 3rd party.
Please excuse my agitation when I look into my subscriptions hoping to have some one reply to my thread with some useful knowledge on the subject and then see unnecessary sarcasm.
Originally Posted by jmd
You're welcome.

The insightful information is in the PDF in this thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...ock-parts.html

I've done hybrid builds for shops who were over their head. Similar to your guy.
Thanks for asking.
Old 09-09-2015, 07:37 AM
TECH Resident

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jmd

Oh wait.
JMD I Just Wanted to help him.... But.. not anymore.
Old 09-09-2015, 08:20 PM
Staging Lane

Well it would seem as though I had the right guys to respond to my thread but between me misunderstanding DG's first response as someone trying to sell me something and being short with JMD because I am frustrated beyond belief with this build, and at this point, life in general I've shot myself in the foot.
FWIW thank you for responding and trying to help.
Originally Posted by dgcustomz
JMD I Just Wanted to help him.... But.. not anymore.

Quick Reply: Converting CTSV T56 to GTO problems