Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

New Hinson Motorsports F-Body Short Throw Shifter - Now Available

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 12:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Hinson Motorsports F-Body Short Throw Shifter - Now Available

Click Here For Introductory Pricing & Purchasing

Hinson Motorsports is proud to announce our HINSON F-Body Short Throw Shifter. This shifter was designed for the Camaro/Firebird/Trans Am enthusiast who is tired of the sloppy stock shifter. Built in the USA, this is the best way to shorten throws and narrow the gate distance between gears in your late model Corvette.

Engineered for precision shifts & closer gates
Short ratio throw for the fastest possible shifts
Powder coated & weighted steel shifter handle 9/16"-18 thread size
Offered w/ or w/o shift ball
CNC machined aluminum base
Direct bolt in installation
Made and assembled in the USA

This is a quick video of how the shifter works and performs on the T-56 in our showroom. We wanted to illustrate how short the throws are and how quick the shifter is. All handle and **** combinations will maintain the stock boot to **** finished look.

Here are a few pictures of the ***** (Sold separately).

Old 09-22-2015, 07:40 PM
12 Second Club

COOL that you finally are giving the 'others' some competition in the f body arena.

Is there going to be a threading option on the handle, IF one does not want to use your ***** (like a stock f body's 16mm x 1.50, or generic 3/8-16/24), or do we have to use an adapter in that case?

I LIKE your logo on the sides of your available *****, but do NOT want the shift pattern on top.

As soon as I have the funds, I want to order one of these!
Old 09-22-2015, 07:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've tried them all, but ended up sticking with the MGW. Would love to give this a try, but not being able to use my old shift ***** is a deal breaker.
Old 09-23-2015, 07:10 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Am I reading this correctly, that it won't fit the factory *****? I've got 3 different factory *****, so that's a deal breaker for me. I have my factory TA ****, a leather Camaro SS ****, as well as the C6, alcantara ****... so having to purchase a new one would be an issue to me.

You really need to change that ASAP and get a factory thread pitch on it. I don't think that should be much issue considering it's just a change in the threading process if you guys are the manufacturer.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not to mention no one likes glass ***** like that due to the insane amount of heat they hold while sitting in direct sunlight.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:19 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

I'm going to get a tap, and rethread my ***** I think.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:40 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

I was actually excited about this but must have missed the part of not being able to use stock threaded *****. I also have a C6 alcantara **** that wasn't cheap so no way I'm getting a new one. MGW it is then.
Old 09-23-2015, 11:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dailydriver
COOL that you finally are giving the 'others' some competition in the f body arena.

Is there going to be a threading option on the handle, IF one does not want to use your ***** (like a stock f body's 16mm x 1.50, or generic 3/8-16/24), or do we have to use an adapter in that case?

I LIKE your logo on the sides of your available *****, but do NOT want the shift pattern on top.

As soon as I have the funds, I want to order one of these!
We will look forward to working with you. We know you will enjoy the product.

Originally Posted by qwikz28
I've tried them all, but ended up sticking with the MGW. Would love to give this a try, but not being able to use my old shift ***** is a deal breaker.
Get an adapter.

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
Am I reading this correctly, that it won't fit the factory *****? I've got 3 different factory *****, so that's a deal breaker for me. I have my factory TA ****, a leather Camaro SS ****, as well as the C6, alcantara ****... so having to purchase a new one would be an issue to me.

You really need to change that ASAP and get a factory thread pitch on it. I don't think that should be much issue considering it's just a change in the threading process if you guys are the manufacturer.
It's a much bigger financial issue than you think. We use this pitch on all of our shifters because it is the most popular pitch out there. With the **** selection being so diverse in sizes, pitches, and styles it is impossible to make one to please everyone. This is when an adapter to your **** is your friend.

Originally Posted by mac62989
I was actually excited about this but must have missed the part of not being able to use stock threaded *****. I also have a C6 alcantara **** that wasn't cheap so no way I'm getting a new one. MGW it is then.
Sorry to hear that. There is always adapters.
Old 09-23-2015, 12:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Cool Product! I still don't understand though. I bet I can still hit my gears just as fast in my stock shifter if not .0005 second slower which your loosing what? I would rather but $350 somewhere else imo. Not knocking the quality or design or anything, thumbs up for that and for the people who like short throws I am sure this is awesome for them!
Old 09-23-2015, 01:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

^ you ever drove in a car with an aftermarket or performance shifter?
Old 09-23-2015, 01:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If it's no big deal to use adapters it looks like you would include it with the f body shifters.
Old 09-23-2015, 02:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blackbyrd
^ you ever drove in a car with an aftermarket or performance shifter?
Yes, i didnt get the satisfaction out of long arm throw more natural shifts. LOL. Im sure people get used to it.
Old 09-23-2015, 06:41 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Eatinstang4life
Yes, i didnt get the satisfaction out of long arm throw more natural shifts. LOL. Im sure people get used to it.
I think you are missing your calling as a UPS truck driver.

The adapter idea doesn't work because, as far as I can tell, the specific adapter needed isn't easily obtained. Far be it from me to complain when a new part comes out for these cars, especially a quality one such as this, however it isn't for me. I'd love to try it one day, though.
Old 09-23-2015, 07:26 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Well I just pulled the trigger, and will do a full review of it when it gets here.

I have a Kirban shifter (not Kurt Urban) circa 2001 and while I like it, it's not great. The new Hinson shifter I'm sure will be a huge improvement.

I plan to get a tap and rethread my shiftknobs. A tap is cheap.
Old 09-23-2015, 10:21 PM
TECH Veteran

^ look forward to your review
Old 09-23-2015, 11:40 PM
Teching In

Will this shifter be available for the T56 Magnum six bolt mount?
Old 09-24-2015, 10:23 AM
11 Second Club

Well I just pulled the trigger, and will do a full review of it when it gets here.

I have a Kirban shifter (not Kurt Urban) circa 2001 and while I like it, it's not great. The new Hinson shifter I'm sure will be a huge improvement.

I plan to get a tap and rethread my shiftknobs. A tap is cheap.
Did you see there display at LSfest? They had a trans mounted with this shifter. It was sweet. back when I still had a 6 speed I had a stock, Kirban, Hurst and finally a PRo 50 and I would haved popped on one these that day, If I still had a 6 speed. It was smooth, close shift. looking forward to your review as well
Old 09-24-2015, 10:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by qwikz28

Originally Posted by mac62989

So lets discuss this thread pitch idea. If we were to change the handle to something like an M16-1.5, would that make everyone a little happier? The thought behind this is if you wanted to use our ball you would get 9/16-18, and if you wanted to use stock or other branded ***** that fit you would have the option to buy it with a M16-1.5 handle. Keep in mind this would take a few weeks to make the handles and powder coat them, but if it solves some of the problems you have expressed it would be worth it. Give me some feedback. AND DISCUSS.

Originally Posted by TheJDMan
Will this shifter be available for the T56 Magnum six bolt mount?
Give me a call. It is one we can currently make, but it is not on our website yet. I can also build custom offsets etc. for LS swap retro cars. I'm assuming based on your question and picture that that is what your doing with it.

Originally Posted by waltsfastz
Did you see there display at LSfest? They had a trans mounted with this shifter. It was sweet. back when I still had a 6 speed I had a stock, Kirban, Hurst and finally a PRo 50 and I would haved popped on one these that day, If I still had a 6 speed. It was smooth, close shift. looking forward to your review as well
Thank you for taking the time at LS Fest to stop by and check out our new product. Also thanks for your feedback and participation in the thread.
Old 09-24-2015, 02:29 PM
TECH Veteran

I would prefer not to have to track down an adapter to use my preferred shifter handle which has the OE thread pitch.

I think it would make more sense if you are selling a product for an fbody that it would be able to utilize a fbody shift ****
Old 09-24-2015, 05:21 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Originally Posted by waltsfastz
I wish I had seen it. I had my head on a swivel while I was there, meeting and talking to so many different people, that I missed a lot of stuff.

I have no doubt I'm going to be extremely happy with my decision.

Quick Reply: New Hinson Motorsports F-Body Short Throw Shifter - Now Available