Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Let's talk about lightweight clutch/Flywheel combo's

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 10:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
Another thing.....these the t56 which most of us run drops about 1800-2000 rpm on a near 7000rpm shift. Your example is dropping as much as a little over 3000rpm on the 1/2 shift and never really that near to what a t56 would be for us until you get to the 3/4 shift
Just trying to get you to see the big picture.
Old 12-04-2015, 11:53 AM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by weedburner
Either method would see an improvement if your clutch could slip a little longer, just something you are not taking full advantage of. Curious though...what's your definition of "clutchless"? ...throttle blip...maybe power interrupt?

Why not just go straight to a Ram Coupler if it's just about the lightest clutch?

I understand you wanting the lightest clutch possible. I once built a Outlaw Dirt Latemodel that had a homemade 1 speed transmission with a motorcycle clutch in the countershaft. Even mounted the ring gear for the starter on bearings with a one-way clutch in the center. It was all about exploiting rules at the time, you couldn't even think about loading that car on the trailer under it's own power. Point is, there's a compromise point for everyone in the battle of lightweight vs thermal capacity, gotta find what works best for you.
I'm not so sure the ram coupler will work for me...lol

I agree there is no one size that fits all .....that goes for the thermal capacity you mention. The same clutch that say will have more thermal capacity will also hold heat longer than the style that you say don't have as much thermal capacity. It's all a balancing act.

Multi-disc clutches will typically deal with heat better, there is just more area there to disperse it. It's not so much about the mass.

By clutchless I mean this

I have a lingenfelter ignition cut box but it is not hooked up. It would interrupt the ignition via load cell on the shifter . That is really the best way to do it. These guys changing gears with the front wheels in the air has a set up like that.
Originally Posted by weedburner
Just trying to get you to see the big picture.
And I appreciate you contributing. I think you have a very cool product and I would like to get one to try. What's the best way to order from you guys? Any forum discounts?
Old 12-08-2015, 03:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm not so sure the ram coupler will work for me...lol

I agree there is no one size that fits all .....that goes for the thermal capacity you mention. The same clutch that say will have more thermal capacity will also hold heat longer than the style that you say don't have as much thermal capacity. It's all a balancing act.

Multi-disc clutches will typically deal with heat better, there is just more area there to disperse it. It's not so much about the mass.

By clutchless I mean this

Running threw the gears with a bolt-on ls6 - YouTube

I have a lingenfelter ignition cut box but it is not hooked up. It would interrupt the ignition via load cell on the shifter . That is really the best way to do it. These guys changing gears with the front wheels in the air has a set up like that.

And I appreciate you contributing. I think you have a very cool product and I would like to get one to try. What's the best way to order from you guys? Any forum discounts?

Hio, that wouldnt be worth it without upgrading to a carbon 3 or 4 disc 4.5 deal... Quick question, and maybe I would be better off calling someone but do you think a reverse mount and 102/5 tooth deal would be worth the hassle or cost? How much lighter is the bell, and the small flywheel comparatively to your flexplate/button setup? Would be nice if companies like these all had weights on their products, seems to be one of the main specs, hope they are all listening.
Old 12-08-2015, 05:02 PM
10 Second Club

Idk.....once you go so far the return starts to diminish. If you're class racing then you have to keep up with the Joneses. But for typical hotrodding almost anything is good enough if the owner is happy. I'm just trying to relay my experiences with these type of clutches.

There is some pretty trick **** out there now. And most is pretty high doller.
Old 12-08-2015, 06:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Ya, thats what I would assume I have raed where Tilton or Quartermaster advertises the MOI as half with the 4.5! The thing is its half of very light to begin with so your diminishing returns makes sense. I like the bellhousings though all scalloped and reinforced... looks a lot lighter and if switching to a small clutch setup is a minor investment comparatively. Thinking that a 3.73 or better gear will help using a clutch like the 5.5?
Old 02-24-2017, 07:00 AM
10 Second Club

Received 173 Likes on 117 Posts

Reviving a good post here..........

We recently installed a 5.5" Tilton on my 2015 1LE......... I'll just say it is pure, raw, nasty and twice the car it used to be. First and second gear now feel like they want to rip the car apart. Once you get to third its just steady acceleration. It has taken some tuning but the drivability is really a non issue for me (average driver is not going to be happy for a while). That being said......... looking forward to making some passes in the upcoming week to see just what gains we have made with a few changes.
Old 02-24-2017, 07:18 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Getting my 19 lb Spec installed next Tuesday. Can't wait!
Old 02-24-2017, 11:17 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lazerlemonta
Reviving a good post here..........

We recently installed a 5.5" Tilton on my 2015 1LE......... I'll just say it is pure, raw, nasty and twice the car it used to be. First and second gear now feel like they want to rip the car apart. Once you get to third its just steady acceleration. It has taken some tuning but the drivability is really a non issue for me (average driver is not going to be happy for a while). That being said......... looking forward to making some passes in the upcoming week to see just what gains we have made with a few changes.
Video or it didn't happen!
Old 02-24-2017, 12:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm still trying to decide what I wanna get, I want to slip the clutch so it will need to be able to wear a lot.
Old 02-24-2017, 01:48 PM
10 Second Club

Received 173 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by North*power
Video or it didn't happen!

Old 02-25-2017, 01:01 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by nmass399
I'm still trying to decide what I wanna get, I want to slip the clutch so it will need to be able to wear a lot.
I slip my tilton out a bit.....no issues.
Old 02-25-2017, 03:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

I slip my tilton out a bit.....no issues.
Needs to be able to slip more than a bit if you want a good 60'...
Old 02-25-2017, 04:39 PM
10 Second Club

Depends on what your bit is i suppose. You can slip it....where is the line between slipping and riding is the question.

Got any vids of how much slip you think is more than a bit is with your tamer weedy?
Old 02-25-2017, 09:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well I've been considering the rps twin and the McLeod magforce twin. I also been considering an actual slipper clutch. The rps has the carbon disc's and the magforce will have the iron style discs. I've also considered a 7.25 tilton but I think the discs are not thick enough.
Old 02-25-2017, 09:27 PM
11 Second Club

Well I've been considering the rps twin and the McLeod magforce twin. I also been considering an actual slipper clutch. The rps has the carbon disc's and the magforce will have the iron style discs. I've also considered a 7.25 tilton but I think the discs are not thick enough.
What about the Mantic Twin?
Old 02-25-2017, 10:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by scotty2000ss
What about the Mantic Twin?
I've also thought about them too. I don't think the mantic flywheels have the steel insert to be rebuildable but I may be wrong about that.
Old 02-26-2017, 04:05 AM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

I've also thought about them too. I don't think the mantic flywheels have the steel insert to be rebuildable but I may be wrong about that.
When a clutch is a multipiece unit...it shouldnt be difficult to rebuild...by replacing parts, as you would any of the other parts that need replaced.

Any steel inserts, at least when installed in aluminium flywheels tend to warp like **** in no time though. So for me a steel flywheel with no insert sounds like a more solid piece to begin with.
Old 02-26-2017, 09:47 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
When a clutch is a multipiece unit...it shouldnt be difficult to rebuild...by replacing parts, as you would any of the other parts that need replaced.

Any steel inserts, at least when installed in aluminium flywheels tend to warp like **** in no time though. So for me a steel flywheel with no insert sounds like a more solid piece to begin with.
Is this speaking from experience?
Old 02-26-2017, 11:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Depends on what your bit is i suppose. You can slip it....where is the line between slipping and riding is the question.

Got any vids of how much slip you think is more than a bit is with your tamer weedy?
It depends on the combination. Your potential looks to be around 1.40 60's and around 10.1 ET, given your 131 trap speed. To pull out that potential, your engine needs to be operating near/above it's torque peak for the duration of the run. Let's say you have 28" tires, 4.0 rear gear, and a 2.66 1st gear. Your clutch needs to be able to slip for at least 25' or 0.90 sec to maintain a minimum of 4800 rpm. The question then becomes, can your lightweight clutch/flywheel slip for 25' from a standing start @ WOT without damage?
Old 02-26-2017, 12:21 PM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by scotty2000ss
Is this speaking from experience?
Well I didnt just make it up lol

A steel insert in a steel flywheel may b more resilient, but steel in an alloy flywheel, certainly had issues when I used one some 20 years ago.

It didnt affect the operation of the clutch, but I was amazed how badly warped it was.

Quick Reply: Let's talk about lightweight clutch/Flywheel combo's