Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Let's talk about lightweight clutch/Flywheel combo's

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2017, 03:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
There is plenty of evidence out there showing that yes lighter clutches do accelerate better weedy. It's kind of a no brainer. Especially with the over weight gm clutches.

Scotty's results aren't really whete they should be yet. Anyone trapping 118 in a fbo ls6 z06 should trade it iff on a prius to save the gasoline for those if us that know wtf we're doin.

I've seen stock c5z go 118.
I'm not throwing the towel in yet. Still room for improvement with the car as it sits. Mostly driving...
Old 09-13-2017, 03:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

There is plenty of evidence out there showing that yes lighter clutches do accelerate better weedy. It's kind of a no brainer. Especially with the over weight gm clutches.
The point i'm getting to is overall efficiency of the run- ET vs MPH.

Using 1320/mph as a ballpark indicator of et potential, very few here with a lightweight clutch are anywhere close.
According to the sigs/posts...

nmass399 11.29@119, comes within .2 sec
bighammer 11.5@121 + .591 sec
stevieturbo 9.85@144.75 + .731 sec
scotty2000ss 11.814@120.27 + .839 sec
hiosilver 10.90@131.3 +.847 sec

Whatever the reason, if you can't get the clutch to slip effectively your et will suffer.

Grant
Old 09-13-2017, 04:06 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

I do not run a lightweight clutch...I see no point.
Old 09-13-2017, 04:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,393 Likes on 879 Posts

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
I will say a lesson learned on my part - the lighter clutch seems to like a smaller master to help with slipping at launch vs the larger master I had before. I lost engagement window width with the lighter clutch.
Somewhere earlier in this thread I made mention that the smaller clutches use a flat diaphragm spring, as opposed to raised finger springs on stock style clutches.

Flat style springs need less finger travel for release than stock style springs. When I had the Quarter Master 8.5" single disk in my RX7, I used a 5/8" bore MC. This made the pedal nice and light and increased the window of engagement (modulatability) of the clutch. In other words, it was easy to drive because the clutch wasn't an ON/OFF switch. I still had to worry about generating excess heat, so I did not slip it as much as I would a stock clutch.

With the RPS carbon/carbon, I would find out the exact diameter bearing that is required. I know they say it works with a stock TOB, but it may work much better with a radius faced bearing instead of a flat stock style bearing. RPS should also be able to give you the exact distance the spring fingers need to travel for a clean release. Using all that information you can use the appropriate bearing and MC combo to improve drivability, pedal feel, etc....

Andrew
Old 09-13-2017, 04:32 PM

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Well...not really do to lighter clutch. More of the design of the clutch and the fact that a clutch with grippier material will act like the window is smaller.

On a clutch like mine and scottys the length of the springs are much shorter also. Further reducing the amount the hydraulic release bearing has to travel for engagement.

It's not really a weight thing.
Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Somewhere earlier in this thread I made mention that the smaller clutches use a flat diaphragm spring, as opposed to raised finger springs on stock style clutches.

Flat style springs need less finger travel for release than stock style springs. When I had the Quarter Master 8.5" single disk in my RX7, I used a 5/8" bore MC. This made the pedal nice and light and increased the window of engagement (modulatability) of the clutch. In other words, it was easy to drive because the clutch wasn't an ON/OFF switch. I still had to worry about generating excess heat, so I did not slip it as much as I would a stock clutch.

With the RPS carbon/carbon, I would find out the exact diameter bearing that is required. I know they say it works with a stock TOB, but it may work much better with a radius faced bearing instead of a flat stock style bearing. RPS should also be able to give you the exact distance the spring fingers need to travel for a clean release. Using all that information you can use the appropriate bearing and MC combo to improve drivability, pedal feel, etc....

Andrew
Both of you are saying pretty close to the same thing, and it makes sense. I ended up at 0.700 master for the same reason - restored feel and engagement window (modulatability - i'm adding that to my spellcheck dictionary). I'd bet a slightly smaller diameter HRB would have even more mechanical advantage, but with the smaller master, I feel like I probably gained back what I was missing on the 7/8 master I had in it.
Old 09-13-2017, 04:33 PM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by scotty2000ss
I'm not throwing the towel in yet. Still room for improvement with the car as it sits. Mostly driving...
Lol....i wasn't talking about you.

Originally Posted by weedburner
The point i'm getting to is overall efficiency of the run- ET vs MPH.

Using 1320/mph as a ballpark indicator of et potential, very few here with a lightweight clutch are anywhere close.
According to the sigs/posts...

nmass399 11.29@119, comes within .2 sec
bighammer 11.5@121 + .591 sec
stevieturbo 9.85@144.75 + .731 sec
scotty2000ss 11.814@120.27 + .839 sec
hiosilver 10.90@131.3 +.847 sec

Whatever the reason, if you can't get the clutch to slip effectively your et will suffer.

Grant
I'm not sure what your getting at there.

You can't really compare full on drag race set ups to what alot of us are doin. There's more to it than a clutch but no denying a lighter clutch can accelerate faster.

If the weight in that area meant nothing you would be running steel rods.

Andrew
Yes and yes
Old 09-13-2017, 04:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Here are pictures for reference:

Quarter Master 8.5" single disk. Note the flat spring.

Quarter Master tri-lite bearing installed on a T56 with radius faced bearing:

Andrew
Old 09-13-2017, 05:01 PM
9 Second Club

OEM GM bearing has a flat/radiused too ?

I've used the OEM bearing on flat faced fingers before ( and present ) without issue.

In fact, the bearing that was supplied to be used with my current clutch was a pretty ***** choice, wish I'd never even tried using it in the first place. But that's another story.

Although doubt an OEM bearing would work with that simply due to the very small diameter
Old 09-13-2017, 05:08 PM

That radius bearing face is interesting. I bet that partially addresses the occasional "progressive" clutch effort - where the further you push the pedal, the stiffer it sometimes gets due to the contact point moving outward - making less mechanical advantage on the PP finger.

I won't go and drop my transmission for one, but next time it's out, I'll have to take a serious look at that
Old 09-13-2017, 05:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
OEM GM bearing has a flat/radiused too ?

I've used the OEM bearing on flat faced fingers before ( and present ) without issue.

OEM GM T56 bearing has a flat face. There are examples of OEM radius faced bearings. Mazda used them on 2nd and 3rd gen RX7s because their clutch used a flat diaphragm spring.

You can use a flat faced bearing with flat springs, but that is not optimal for reasons stated below.

...I bet that partially addresses the occasional "progressive" clutch effort - where the further you push the pedal, the stiffer it sometimes gets due to the contact point moving outward - making less mechanical advantage on the PP finger......
A radius faced bearing completely addresses this point because it results in a single point of contact between the bearing and the spring. A flat bearing initially makes contact with the spring fingers at a diameter closer to the input shaft centerline (spring finger tips), then as the bearing movement increases the bearing outer rim makes contact with the spring at a diameter further out from the center of the input shaft, thus increasing pedal effort (due to reduced mechanical advantage) and resulting in a non-linear pedal feel.

Andrew
Old 09-14-2017, 05:45 AM
9 Second Club

OEM GM vs Nissan 350z clutch bearing on a flat fingered type clutch.

Pics are with the diaphragm uncompressed so obviously the fingers are at more of an angle than if the clutch was all bolted up, with the fingers almost flat.

So in this instance, there really is no problem using a "flat" GM bearing which does still have a radius at the outer edge vs what the clutch company wanted to use, which gave me problems.
Attached Thumbnails Let's talk about lightweight clutch/Flywheel combo's-dsc_0284-large-.jpg   Let's talk about lightweight clutch/Flywheel combo's-dsc_0282-large-.jpg   Let's talk about lightweight clutch/Flywheel combo's-dsc_0283-large-.jpg  
Old 09-15-2017, 11:26 AM
10 Second Club

This is what's in mine. Coupled with a 5.5 tilton.

I can see where a radius face would be more forgiving.
Old 09-15-2017, 11:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Quarter Master trilite, same as what I had.

Andrew
Old 09-15-2017, 12:47 PM
10 Second Club

Yea......we used a tilton 6000 series on my buddies 5gen we put a 5.5 tilton in.

I thought it would be easier because of the way it adjusted but wonce bolted up it was to far from the clutch. We made a spacer and it all worked out then.
Old 09-15-2017, 04:52 PM

Tilton pay you for this R&D work?
Old 09-15-2017, 05:21 PM
10 Second Club

Lol....i wish
Old 09-15-2017, 07:19 PM
8 Second Club

Received 944 Likes on 700 Posts

Lol....i wish
I know right, my calipers got a workout but was still worth it.

Looking forward to pulling it apart this winter and seeing how these disks look at this power level.
Old 08-10-2020, 02:14 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by redbird555
I know most people here probably get tired of hearing my setup currently but I run a mcleod rst which is a 9.8" clutch (less moi than a 12) and with its fidanza flywheel it comes in at 34 lbs on the nose as a total setup. The difference from the stock clutch to that was HUGE. The engine revved so much easier going through the gears and was much quicker from a roll. Monster makes a great product and I'm not bashing them in any way. However my rst shifts every bit as good as my buddies stage 3's (he's had 2 now) and I can literally take off by just letting out the clutch, no chatter no bucking and the pedal feels jsut a little lighter than stock even with my tick m/c. I cant dream of doing that to his without it bucking or having some chatter.
For those who are interested in purchasing the exact setup mentioned by redbird in the post above, I am selling one with only a few break-in miles on it. Get the whole clutch and flywheel combo for $570 plus shipping. Here are my posts for the $400 - McLeod RST Dual Plate Clutch [6912-07] and $200 - Fidanza Aluminum Flywheel [198571].

Edit: SOLD. Thanks everyone!

Last edited by eb110americana; 08-12-2020 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Items no longer available.
Old 08-10-2020, 11:44 AM

That radius bearing face is interesting. I bet that partially addresses the occasional "progressive" clutch effort - where the further you push the pedal, the stiffer it sometimes gets due to the contact point moving outward - making less mechanical advantage on the PP finger.

I won't go and drop my transmission for one, but next time it's out, I'll have to take a serious look at that
OEM GM T56 bearing has a flat face. There are examples of OEM radius faced bearings. Mazda used them on 2nd and 3rd gen RX7s because their clutch used a flat diaphragm spring.

You can use a flat faced bearing with flat springs, but that is not optimal for reasons stated below.

A radius faced bearing completely addresses this point because it results in a single point of contact between the bearing and the spring. A flat bearing initially makes contact with the spring fingers at a diameter closer to the input shaft centerline (spring finger tips), then as the bearing movement increases the bearing outer rim makes contact with the spring at a diameter further out from the center of the input shaft, thus increasing pedal effort (due to reduced mechanical advantage) and resulting in a non-linear pedal feel.

Andrew

Yea......we used a tilton 6000 series on my buddies 5gen we put a 5.5 tilton in.

I thought it would be easier because of the way it adjusted but wonce bolted up it was to far from the clutch. We made a spacer and it all worked out then.
I will say, now that this thread got bumped anyway, I do like the feel of the tilton HRB. I have not run the car yet, but sitting in the garage, pushing the pedal, it has a more solid feel. Also, the kit did not work out of the box for me either. I had to fabricate to get it to install with proper clearances. it's not fo the faint of heart, but I'm optimistic that the improvement will be worth the extra effort.

Quick Reply: Let's talk about lightweight clutch/Flywheel combo's