Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Let's talk about lightweight clutch/Flywheel combo's

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 06:10 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JimMueller
How much thermal mass do you need in a clutch to offset the heat generated in daily traffic jams? There has to a point where it's too small and destroys the clutch in short order even if the friction release is smooth.
Never thought of that... I'd hope the lightweight combo wasn't for a daily driver.

I wonder how quickly it would heat up in traffic?
Old 11-21-2015, 06:49 PM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

My 5.5 tilton does fine in traffic. Heat don't seem to be a issue.
Old 11-22-2015, 06:17 AM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by scotty2000ss
I wonder how quickly it would heat up in traffic?
Depends how bad the driver is.
Old 11-22-2015, 04:44 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
My 5.5 tilton does fine in traffic. Heat don't seem to be a issue.
So it is NOT an "on/off" switch, like so many small diameter racing clutches we hear about that burn up on ONE try getting the car onto a trailer??
Old 11-22-2015, 05:13 PM
9 Second Club

Heat will always be more of an issue on smaller diameter clutches.

But as long as it isnt a retard driving it, there shouldnt be an issue.

If you arent capable of driving a car onto a trailer without excessively slipping the clutch, either take driving lessons, get a different trailer or use a winch.
Old 11-23-2015, 09:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

I'd want a reasonable solution which doesn't require an expert at shifting that type of clutch. I don't want to damage a daily driver clutch just because someone who is comfortable driving a 'normal' clutch cannot shift like Ayrton Senna.
Old 11-23-2015, 12:22 PM
9 Second Club

Changing gear isnt complicated or difficult. Like really...WTF do you think is involved changing gear ?

Foot on clutch, change gear, foot off clutch. There isnt any need to complicate such a simple task.
Old 11-23-2015, 12:31 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Changing gear isnt complicated or difficult. Like really...WTF do you think is involved changing gear ?

Foot on clutch, change gear, foot off clutch. There isnt any need to complicate such a simple task.
You win the internet today
Old 11-23-2015, 01:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

The lightest clutch assy's generally won't have enough thermal capacity to slip for very long at WOT, so they are not going to be a good choice if quick 60's are your goal. With a properly slipped clutch of sufficient capacity, you’ll get your best launch while putting no more stress on your drivetrain than if you were roll racing.
Old 11-23-2015, 02:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by weedburner
The lightest clutch assy's generally won't have enough thermal capacity to slip for very long at WOT, so they are not going to be a good choice if quick 60's are your goal. With a properly slipped clutch of sufficient capacity, you’ll get your best launch while putting no more stress on your drivetrain than if you were roll racing.
Why wouldn't proper throttle management with the appropriate wheel/tire combo be sufficient for great 60' times with the clutch not slipping? Even if you had street tires I would rather spin them rather than the clutch, but that's if you had no throttle management skills at all. That's why a lot of guys leave just off idle with street tires, no?
Old 11-23-2015, 02:50 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by North*power
Why wouldn't proper throttle management with the appropriate wheel/tire combo be sufficient for great 60' times with the clutch not slipping? Even if you had street tires I would rather spin them rather than the clutch, but that's if you had no throttle management skills at all. That's why a lot of guys leave just off idle with street tires, no?

Because the reality is the huge difference between engine rpm vs wheel rpm at launch, and rpm needed to maintain a hard launch vs blowing teh tyres off....that slip has got to happen somewhere.

If the tyres slip, generally you're losing traction and hence forward motion. If the clutch slips you are putting huge amounts of heat into the clutch reducing its lifespan.

Somewhere in the middle is a balance, but there will be slippage somewhere for optimal launches.

That's why autos are so easy to launch, they've slip in the drivetrain pretty much built in, which allows the tyres to retain more traction.
Old 11-23-2015, 03:11 PM

Received 1,836 Likes on 1,145 Posts

Originally Posted by weedburner
Define thermal capacity please

Iron has a higher specific heat than Aluminum, but aluminum will also radiate heat faster. And what about Carbon? Carbon is lighter than any of them, but it doesn't melt until 6400*C, at which point it will sublime (direct phase change solid to gas) typically rather than melt. If you're seeing that kind of temp in your clutch, you'll burn your car down, negating the need to worry about the clutch, right?

Long way to ask, but is weight and diameter the only consideration, or does material selection figure into this?
Old 11-23-2015, 03:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by North*power
Throttle management isn't a good plan if you are looking to produce the maximum amount of power possible, compressed into the shortest period of time.
Old 11-23-2015, 03:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Darth_V8r
Define thermal capacity please.

Iron has a higher specific heat than Aluminum, but aluminum will also radiate heat faster. And what about Carbon? Carbon is lighter than any of them, but it doesn't melt until 6400*C, at which point it will sublime (direct phase change solid to gas) typically rather than melt. If you're seeing that kind of temp in your clutch, you'll burn your car down, negating the need to worry about the clutch, right?

Long way to ask, but is weight and diameter the only consideration, or does material selection figure into this?
Having enough mass to meet slip requirements without overheating. By slipping a clutch you are basically turning more of your engine's output directly into heat, but that amount of energy you are "wasting" thru the clutch is exceeded by the added power produced by operating at a higher rpm...result is a net gain in power available to move the car down the track.
Old 11-23-2015, 05:20 PM
11 Second Club

Are most of you against the lighter set up?
Old 11-23-2015, 05:45 PM
9 Second Club

Nothing against a "lighter" setup, depends what the heavy setup was in the first place and how light you are referring to.

I personally would never go to a clutch as small as 7.25 if it was on a very heavy vehicle.

Which is the other aspect....if it is a heavy vehicle with tallish gearing as almost all LS cars are, that virtually wipes out any potential benefits from a light setup because in the grand scheme of things it makes **** all positive difference.
Old 11-23-2015, 05:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Less MOI is better, as long as temp stays under control. Quick times at the dragstrip are going to require a lot of slip, so the lightest clutch/flywheel package likely won't be the best choice if that's your focus.
Old 11-24-2015, 04:56 PM
10 Second Club

Received 412 Likes on 330 Posts

I made 16 or 18 passes last time at the track. I hot lapped the **** out of the car. Heat is not a issue......and I've had no issues loading in on the trailer when used.

If you burn up a clutch loading the car on a trailer you're a idiot.....just that simple.
Old 11-24-2015, 05:12 PM
11 Second Club

I made 16 or 18 passes last time at the track. I hot lapped the **** out of the car. Heat is not a issue......and I've had no issues loading in on the trailer when used.

If you burn up a clutch loading the car on a trailer you're a idiot.....just that simple.
Good info Hio. I saw a trailer that comes with a wench the other day. I can post the link if anyone needs it.
Old 11-24-2015, 05:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

If you are 10.9 @ 129, i doubt that clutch is slipping enough for a good 60'.

Quick Reply: Let's talk about lightweight clutch/Flywheel combo's