at wit's end with t56 reverse issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 05:06 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default at wit's end with t56 reverse issue

a bit over a month ago..i started a clutch/hydraulic swap in my 98 formula
new slave, master, clutch, and flywheel

after I pulled the trans..the input shaft had ALOT of side to side play..i found this was due to the pilot bushing being worn (worn is an understatement really)

so I assumed really it was the input shaft bearing..so I ordered a new bearing/race and shim kit..removed the front plate from the trans an replaced the parts...put it all back together and figured I was good to go (everything was aligned and where it needed to be)
I installed everything and got it all buttoned up/bled/etc yesterday

I got in the car to back it out of the garage..have good clutch pedal..put it in reverse..feels good...slowly release the clutch and get the most god awful grinding noise from the tailshaft area I've ever heard

I have NO idea what the hell happened..i have never had any problem with reverse and after all the problems I had with this job (that should have been a reasonably simple one) I can't think straight enough to figure it out

if anyone has any suggestions or ideas of what the hell happened I would be really appreciative..
Old 10-19-2015, 11:54 AM
TECH Resident

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Sounds like you are not fully engaged into reverse. I would make sure the shifter is making its full travel. If the shifter is adjustable I would make sure the stops are not the issue.
Old 10-19-2015, 01:55 PM
Launching!

It's a ripper and the stops are removed...otherwise i would have thought the same...but i can't see it being shifter related

I'll be reluctantly pulling the trans again to inspect reverse...lots of searches says it may be the fork pads...

Nothing can ever be easy
Old 10-20-2015, 07:34 AM
TECH Resident

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by firebiird
It's a ripper and the stops are removed...otherwise i would have thought the same...but i can't see it being shifter related

I'll be reluctantly pulling the trans again to inspect reverse...lots of searches says it may be the fork pads...

Nothing can ever be easy
Could be fork pads.. But I was under the impression this happened after you opened the front to shim the input and didn't do it before. Good luck with it.
Old 10-20-2015, 09:05 AM
Launching!

Your impression is correct...i don't know wht it would have caused damage to the pads but i'll know for sure tomorrow after it's removed from the car and tail shaft pulled
Old 10-20-2015, 01:43 PM
FormerVendor

Might be a silly question but was the isolator cup still intact and in the socket? I've seen some come with the shifter when removing it. Just a thought...
Old 10-20-2015, 02:00 PM
Launching!

The cup is present and in good condition, not silly at all imo...small part and easily missed
Originally Posted by StandardTrans&Gear
Might be a silly question but was the isolator cup still intact and in the socket? I've seen some come with the shifter when removing it. Just a thought...
Old 10-22-2015, 12:24 PM
Launching!

reverse shift fork is bent, and the pads aren't looking so hot...ordering replacement parts tomorrow
Old 10-22-2015, 03:52 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by firebiird
reverse shift fork is bent, and the pads aren't looking so hot...ordering replacement parts tomorrow
Have you pulled the synchronizer assembly off to check the engagement teeth? What about the gear itself? Are the engagement teeth on it in good shape? If the trans has not been gone through before you can flip the reverse synchronizer over and use that good side. You'll have to switch the retainer to the opposite side but it's easy. While you are in there I would check the syncro ring height on 5th and 6th just to make sure they're not on their way out. It would suck to have to go into it a couple months down the road for an issue that could be taken care of right now. I would also go to some bronze pads instead of the stock plastic nylon ones it came with. If you need any help give me a call or send me a text. 817-888-4657 or call the shop at 817-625-7109/ 1-800-783-8726. Ask for Fabian. We have rings and bronze pads in stock.

Quick Reply: at wit's end with t56 reverse issue