Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

New clutch install questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 05:22 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New clutch install questions

I'm building an ls1 which I'm expecting 425 Rwhp.

My stock clutch is worn halfway, so May as well replace it. The vehicle has 103k miles.

I was thinking of getting a spec stage 1 from Tick.

I'm low on funds, so I can't afford a new flywheel.

Can I run the spec with my factory flywheel?

I am replacing the slave cylinder and bearing as well.

Is it necessary to shim the slave?

Do I need a new hydraulic line?

I'm going to get a tick master cylinder upgrade when I get some cash....I may do the drill mod for now.

Anything else I may need?
Old 12-04-2015, 01:57 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1. The SPEC #SC091 Stage 1 Clutch will work with your stock flywheel, yes, although I suggest having it surfaced during the install and balanced with the new clutch by a reputable machine shop. See it here: http://www.tickperformance.com/spec-...-capacity-599/
  2. You'll need to measure during the install to determine whether or not a shim is necessary - there is no way to tell until you measure. Details here: https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...need-shim.html
  3. A new hydraulic line by itself won't help anything - the problem with the stock master cylinder is that the bore it uses isn't big enough to flow enough fluid to disengage most clutches. This is why the drill mod when performed on the stock hydraulic line doesn't generally make too much of a difference. A good read on this topic is here: http://www.tick-performance.com/imag...kshiftfaq.html
Best of luck with your build! Sounds like it'll be a lot of fun!
Old 12-04-2015, 10:25 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For the sake of ease and my pocketbook right now, I ordered a new Gm slave cylinder from Tick today. I wanted a proper slave and I heard the updated Gm slave was the way to go.

I also ordered an Luk clutch and flywheel kit from another source. These are supposed to be really good oem clutches. I also wanted the good factory feel of the clutch.

The next mod will be a Tick master cylinder after Christmas. With this setup, hopefully the Luk clutch will hold up until I put a vortech supercharger on Then I will get the McLeod Twin disc clutch kit.
Old 12-06-2015, 03:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 148 Likes on 96 Posts

You should just put the twin disc in now... save yourself the hassle of pulling out the trans again and then nobody wanting to buy your used clutch which will then amount to a waste of $ once you supercharge it.

Quick Reply: New clutch install questions