Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Clutch goes down 1/2 way, then rock solid?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 07:01 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clutch goes down 1/2 way, then rock solid?

Hey folks, I'm hoping you can give me some fresh ideas on a problem I'm having. I'm installing my stock (T56) clutch and tranny behind the stock LS1 from a 2001 transAm into a '66 Mustang. I'm using a new replacement slave cylinder, a remote bleeder, and a 3/4" master left over from the last engine/tranny/clutch combo in the car (a T5, external slave cylinder).

As this is a new installation, I have no reference as to what it "should" feel like, but I'm experiencing something new and different: the clutch pedal will feel VERY soft for the first 1/2 of its travel, then get instantly hard after that. It will still depress, but it's an instantaneous transition in force required. It does NOT feel like the system is building up pressure slowly. When releasing the pedal, it will only return about halfway, then slowly (over about 1-5 minutes) will return to full height.

I have tried bleeding the system in the traditional fashion, and using a power bleeder (not vacuum). Both result in the same effect.

I have the following ideas:
-Since the clutch pedal does not necessarily have the same motion ratio as the Camaro/ TransAm pedal, I might be over/under-traveling the slave cylinder.
-the master cylinder is getting "stuck" halfway down its bore, and not retracting, so it doesn't uncover the hole to the reservoir, and never re-fills, essentially negating the traditional bleeding procedure.

I understand the Camaro/TA master is a 3/4" bore, so my pressure ratio/ volume ratio is correct, but the pedal ratio could be different. Can anyone help me with the following info:
-appropriate travel for the stock slave cylinder and/or pressure plate
-pedal ratio or dimensions on Camaro/TA pedal
-travel on stock master cyl

Any other thoughts would be welcome. Sometimes the most helpful thing when troubleshooting is brainstorming, so hit me!

Thanks, guys and gals!
-Matt
Old 12-09-2015, 04:59 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Go buy a cheap USB bore scope type camera.

Shove it inside the bellhousing and then you can sit in the car and press the pedal and see what's happening at the slave

And when bleeding, are you sure fluid can move freely when the pedal is at rest ?
Old 12-15-2015, 03:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Did you bench bleed the master to be 110% sure there is no air in the system?

Measuring my pedal travel won't do any good. Mostly stock setup but larger bore master and aftermarket clutch setup leaves a lot of wasted travel and movement.

Did some digging on other forums, the stock rod travel is between 1-1/4" to 2" Sorry for the large range but that's what I found. Conversion threads have all kinds of random info lol
Old 12-15-2015, 04:27 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Stock rod travel at the master is 1"

No way in hell is it 2" or anywhere near.
Old 12-16-2015, 09:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

Seriously only 1" of travel? Guess who's gonna be raising a pedal stop tonight lol

Quick Reply: Clutch goes down 1/2 way, then rock solid?