Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Pentosin LOW VISCOSITY DOT 4 in clutch hydraulics?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 04:14 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Pentosin LOW VISCOSITY DOT 4 in clutch hydraulics?

Is there ANY reason I could not (or should not) run the above brake fluid in a stock GM clutch master cylinder/slave set up??

I want to use it for the winter, since although the temps have been MUCH higher than normal here, I know the cold will hit soon, and am looking to avoid the dreaded stiff pedal, since it has to be flushed out soon anyway.

Does our master/slave cylinder set up require a certain viscosity level, or will ANY DOT 3/4/5.1 work regardless of viscosity?
Old 01-01-2016, 11:27 AM
Launching!

You should be good to go. The 4 won't boil as quick either. I've just ran DOT 3 and change it often in the resivoir between bleeds and it stays great.
Old 01-01-2016, 03:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.viscopedia.com/viscosity-...e-brake-fluid/

any brake fluid that meets dot specification and the underlying viscosity limits will work.

by the numbers dot4 has s higher cold limit than dot3 but thats at -40c. at realistic temps of 0 to -10c (above 10f) i would bet there is no significant difference. what you dont want is any kind of hydraulic fluid, or atf, because that is significantly higher in viscosity than brake fluid.
Old 01-03-2016, 05:26 PM
12 Second Club

OK, thanks to all above.

I just wanted to avoid the early morning 'stiff pedal', now that the temps are actually dropping to near normal levels for this time of year here.

I last used the Ate Typ 200 gold DOT 4 (roughly the same wet and dry boiling points as the Pentosin LV), and before that the road racing Motul RBF 600 and Neo 610 which both have higher wet and dry points than the 'lesser', more street oriented, DOT 4s, but still need to be drained/flushed more often since they tend to pick up moisture much faster than the lower temp fluids.

1FMF; you may be correct about the Pentosin LV being about the same viscosity as the Ate Typ 200 at "sane" ambient temps above -25*F, but I figured I'd give it a try anyway since some have claimed a lighter pedal/better 'action' at ~0*F ambients using it.

Quick Reply: Pentosin LOW VISCOSITY DOT 4 in clutch hydraulics?