Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Undriveable smell

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2016, 01:17 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Undriveable smell

I'm so sick of this pile of ****.

The car smells like transmission fluid so badly it literally un drive able. If you can make it out of the car with out a massive head ache, your for certian going to smell like trans fluid.

I dread driving this ******* thing

Vent line is clear. It's clearly coming up through the shifter hole. I've got about 400 plastic bags and rags around the shifter where it comes through the floor. I'm not sure what else I can do.

If you pull the leather shifter boot up while your driving, and put your face over the shifter, you can literally feel hot air that reeks of trans fluid hitting your face.
Old 06-18-2016, 10:12 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

did you over fill the transmission?
did you use RTV between shifter and tranny?
do you have the sub boot installed under the "leather" boot?
Old 06-18-2016, 12:50 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like the rubber boot is ripped or missing all together. That will definitely cause that.
Old 06-18-2016, 01:57 PM
TECH Regular

It's all rtv'd, I put 4 quarts even in it. But it has smelled since day 1, even when I filled it to the full hole.

The rubber sub boot has gotta be it. But it's wierd, the shifter is flat coming out of the boot (hurst) and in having a hard time finding a replacement sub boot with the square shifter hole.

The trans doesn't leak a drop, but it looks like there's some seepage around the base of the shifter. Not the larger plate that you rtv, but the pedestal that the sub boot goes onto. Where that meets the larger base plate seems to have some dampness. Not sure if it's running down from the sub boot or not.

When you pull up the sub boot, should there be signs of trans fluid? Or should it be bone dry?
Old 06-19-2016, 01:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by dburt86

When you pull up the sub boot, should there be signs of trans fluid? Or should it be bone dry?
bone dry.

maybe your shifter itself is bad and letting fluid/fumes pass. A sub-boot should help but if fluid is weeping up through the shifter itself...I would resolve that and also install the sub boot. The sub-boot also reduces noise and heat into the cabin
Old 06-19-2016, 05:19 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by ******
bone dry.

maybe your shifter itself is bad and letting fluid/fumes pass. A sub-boot should help but if fluid is weeping up through the shifter itself...I would resolve that and also install the sub boot. The sub-boot also reduces noise and heat into the cabin
Well that might be an issue. There's def fluid under the sub boot. Might be wicking up the 4 torx bolts or something

Quick Reply: Undriveable smell