Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

You wouldn’t believe what happened when I installed a Mamo RPS Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 08:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default You wouldn’t believe what happened when I installed a Mamo RPS Clutch

It’s way too easy to shift!

Everyone should take the red pill and find out what a phenomenal change this clutch is for your car and just how terrible the stock clutch is to drive. I bet there would more intact 10-bolts if the RPS clutch came stock.

First off, my silver 2002 Camaro SS with 75K miles is practically stock except for a shift skip eliminator (yeah that stock) and a MGW shifter. Only the K&N airfilter was an upgrade by the 1st owner and it had dirt caked on it because he thought the dirtier it got the better it worked. Thank God the backside that faces the engine was clean. I think I got 10HP cleaning the damn thing.

As with any new car purchase there are potential hidden problems, like the stock clutch slipping, so…first serious mod, RPS Mamoized Clutch, because I only want to replace broken stock crap once.

Mr. Tony Mamo was awesome to deal with even at 10pm at night, which is great for a nightshift worker like myself. He made me an offer I couldn’t refuse and I placed the order that night. It took about eight weeks for delivery due to a CNC machine going down per Tony, but it arrived and looked as good as pictured by others on this site. I checked the weight of the clutch and flywheel and it was one once under 31 pounds!

Installation was mostly smooth, other than I am not a mechanic and it takes me a long time to do my own work. The hydraulics are stock, and per Tony, he told me to leave them alone and see what I thought of it. I did need to put in a clutch pedal stop due to how fast this clutch engages/disengages. I would poorly estimate I took nearly half the pedal travel out.

The feel of this Clutch is freakish and hard to describe. It feels like I went from 3:42 gears to 4:10s just by the SOTP feel and the way the rpms fly by. It shifts almost stupid easy with no clutch chatter. High RPM shifts are out-of-this-world smooth, car doesn’t lurch or jerk like a stock clutch. The car feels like I’m powershifting. The stock hydraulics are no issue what so ever, in fact, now I can see how the hydraulics are not so good for the stock clutch which could explain why so many have needed to modify or upgrade.

I’ll need to dyno it and take it to the track to see how I really feel about any potential power gains, but due to the old clutch slipping I have no time sheets or dyno graphs to compare. I figure the LS1tech community might be able to make sense of my numbers when I get them (first week of July hopefully) compared to other stock cars. I would imagine I got about 10HP out of this clutch, but it is so much more than just a power increase.

Was it worth the big price tag…Yes, without a doubt! You can save money by leaving the stock hydraulics, save more time before the 10-bolt grenades, put less pressure on other parts there-by reducing wear and tear, you shouldn’t ever miss a shift with this clutch (could be a negative for the million-excuses-why-I-lost-the-race folks), but most importantly my damn Ford Mustang loving wife thinks the clutch is worth it…now if only she would come home with the car so I can drive it.

Sorry for the long post. I promised Tony I would spread the word. Updates to come.

Darth_V8r has a great post with pictures if you need some RPS clutch eye ****, not sure how to link his post.
Old 06-24-2016, 01:14 AM

Received 1,835 Likes on 1,145 Posts

+1 to everything above! It really wakes the car up. 10-hp is about right IMO.

And Tony is Batman. I've called him at 2am and he's had to turn off machines to talk. He's a solid dude.

Enjoy your newly found creamy smooth shifting goodness!
Old 07-01-2016, 06:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,389 Likes on 878 Posts

Please stop the temptations....sigh...

Andrew
Old 07-06-2016, 06:02 PM
Teching In

Default Dyno Update

Just got back from getting the car on a dyno. The place I went to uses a DynoJet 248. These are my results with a basic stock 2002 Camaro SS with a Mamofied Light Weight Full Twin Carbon RPS Clutch and Flywheel. Note that I live in Denver Colorado with altitude close to 5800. Please ask any questions as I don't know how to compare these numbers to other stock/stock clutch cars. I'll be at the track tonight to see what numbers she will do there. Also not sure how to make the thumbnail larger to see within this thread.

Uncorrected attached - 275HP 289TQ
Corrrected (1.24) - 342HP 360TQ
Attached Thumbnails -7616-dyno-2002-camaro-ss.jpg  
Old 07-06-2016, 08:15 PM
On The Tree

And of course I have to read this as my clutch was acting funny this morning...
Old 07-06-2016, 10:43 PM
Teching In

Default Time Slips at Bandimere Speedway

Clutch was scary awesome at the track I was not willing to power shift on snow tires and risk going sideways, but this clutch makes me want to power shift and obviously buy real wheel meat. It was a great night to race once the sun went behind the mountain and my Ford loving wife (driving this Camaro) went down the track her first time ever and did poorly, she failed to engage 3rd gear from nerves. I might add a little more play in the clutch stop for her. For Me the clutch was super silky smooth transitioning gears. I had trouble from the dig, but I expected that with these horrifying tires and I am no quarter mile hero either. This clutch just asks to be pushed. You need to feel and interact with this clutch, give Tony Mamo a call, pony up the money, and never look back!

Here's my two runs (we got to the track a little late)
R/T••••0.329•••0.304
60' ••••2.401•••2.482
330'••••6.393•••6.494
660'••••9.577•••9.671
MPH ••••77.35 •••77.34
1000'•••12.301•••12.388
E.T.••••14.578•••14.655
MPH••••98.81•••100.11
Old 07-08-2016, 12:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Good to here more people giving the RPS a go.
I just put their full carbon twin disk in my Z this spring and it is the best clutch I have ever driven. Wish I would have found out about the Mamofied version before buying the standard unit from RPS. It's smooth bitch for sure

Quick Reply: You wouldn’t believe what happened when I installed a Mamo RPS Clutch