LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Manual Transmission (https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-transmission-14/)
-   -   T56 Reverse Lockout Wiring (https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-transmission/1850424-t56-reverse-lockout-wiring.html)

xXSilencerXx 11-01-2016 08:26 PM

T56 Reverse Lockout Wiring

Quick question, I couldn't find a straight answer in the search.

Does the polarization matter for the lockout solenoid? I thought I read somewhere that it didn't, but the way I understand solenoids it should matter.

In any case, I've confirmed that I am getting 12V measured between the leads. I re-pinned the PCM to supply the ground. I just want to make sure it isn't backwards on the solenoid before I try to replace the solenoid itself.

Project GatTagO 11-10-2016 09:34 PM

I don't believe that it matters.

Andrew

xXSilencerXx 11-11-2016 08:44 AM

Copy, I guess the solenoid is stuck or failed then. Damnit.

Project GatTagO 11-11-2016 08:49 AM

Have you taken it off for testing? I've had mine on the bench and when energized you can hear it click. If it's not clicking, it's probably done.

Andrew

trackbird 11-15-2016 01:27 PM

If you unplug it does it block you from reverse? It's a "crash through" gate so you can force the shifter through it, but it shouldn't just be "open" to reverse if it's unplugged and working properly. In most of the 3rd gen swaps I've done I've just skipped the solenoid and used the crash through gate to get into reverse. (I had a car where they put a brake switch on to unlock it and when you step on the brakes on the freeway and downshift from 6th it would find its way into reverse at times so I scrapped that).

xXSilencerXx 11-16-2016 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO (Post 19450612)
Have you taken it off for testing? I've had mine on the bench and when energized you can hear it click. If it's not clicking, it's probably done.

Andrew

No, the guy I bought the trans from said everything worked fine. Hindsight being 20/20 I should've checked this. The Trans was a PITA to put in and I don't think I can pull the solenoid while the trans is in the car.

However, I think you're right. There is no audible click when I just power the car on without starting the engine.

Originally Posted by trackbird (Post 19454082)
If you unplug it does it block you from reverse? It's a "crash through" gate so you can force the shifter through it, but it shouldn't just be "open" to reverse if it's unplugged and working properly. In most of the 3rd gen swaps I've done I've just skipped the solenoid and used the crash through gate to get into reverse. (I had a car where they put a brake switch on to unlock it and when you step on the brakes on the freeway and downshift from 6th it would find its way into reverse at times so I scrapped that).

Yep, plugged in or not I have to jam it really hard to get it into reverse. It's not a huge deal yet since I just finished this swap/build and am still working the kinks out, but it would be nice not to have to fight it every time I need to back into the garage.

BALLSS 11-17-2016 01:05 PM

assuming the reverse lock out solenoid is getting signal from PCM and does not work...than solenoid is bad. This assumes though the wiring and PCM program are right for reverse lock out

I did a T56 swap in B-body and just wired the lockout to the brake pedal switch...and have never found myself in a 6 to 5 downshift buzzing reverse if my foot was on brake pedal at same time.

Jontall 11-18-2016 04:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/ls1tech...efc5a06f0f.gif

samckitt 11-18-2016 07:48 AM

Im curious why you say that polarity of a solenoid should matter. It's just a electromagnet coil, right? flipping polarity would change the North & South poles of the magnetic field, but in this case it just needs to be magnetic to pull the plunger in.

Nathaninwa 11-20-2016 10:10 AM

Maybe unplug the connector and run some wires into the cabin with a test light to verify the car side wiring first

xXSilencerXx 11-22-2016 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by Jontall (Post 19456620)
Schematic

Interesting, I'll double check which terminal is getting power/ground on the solenoid.

Originally Posted by samckitt (Post 19456693)
Im curious why you say that polarity of a solenoid should matter. It's just a electromagnet coil, right? flipping polarity would change the North & South poles of the magnetic field, but in this case it just needs to be magnetic to pull the plunger in.

Because wouldn't flipping the polarity change the direction of the force exerted on the plunger? I'm not exactly sure how the system inside the transmission is working to achieve the lockout. That's why I was asking. :thumb:

Originally Posted by Nathaninwa (Post 19458170)
Maybe unplug the connector and run some wires into the cabin with a test light to verify the car side wiring first

Not a bad idea, I used a DMM while I was under there and got 12 V, but this would let me test without getting under there.

I won't be able to get back to it for another week unfortunately.