Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

What's the thinnest hydraulic throwout assembly?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 12:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's the thinnest hydraulic throwout assembly?

Hey everyone. I'm brand new to the LS world and in the initial bench-building and sketching phase of a swap project.

I'd like to use the LS hydraulic throwout bearing (or possibly a McLeod unit depending on what I end up needing) but I'm not 100% sure it'll fit in my project - I'm fitting it to a non-GM transmission with a conversion bellhousing. I will need to make a custom mounting point either by drilling and tapping the bellhousing or making some kind of adapter bracket, but I don't have the bellhousing in hand yet, so I can't measure precisely how much room I'll have.

I am assuming that this is going to be a tight squeeze as it is. So far the McLeod 1300 series and the Tilton Ultra Low Profile 8000 series look like the smallest units, but if anyone knows of other good ones (or reasons to avoid a particular one) I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!
Old 01-19-2017, 01:35 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Side bar here

I've adapted an external slave to one of my T56's and ran a clutch fork. You can get push or pull slaves and I did a little welding on the tranny case. Been 20k miles with zero issues
Old 01-19-2017, 09:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,388 Likes on 877 Posts

Originally Posted by AdmiralSenn
Hey everyone. I'm brand new to the LS world and in the initial bench-building and sketching phase of a swap project.

I'd like to use the LS hydraulic throwout bearing (or possibly a McLeod unit depending on what I end up needing) but I'm not 100% sure it'll fit in my project - I'm fitting it to a non-GM transmission with a conversion bellhousing. I will need to make a custom mounting point either by drilling and tapping the bellhousing or making some kind of adapter bracket, but I don't have the bellhousing in hand yet, so I can't measure precisely how much room I'll have.

I am assuming that this is going to be a tight squeeze as it is. So far the McLeod 1300 series and the Tilton Ultra Low Profile 8000 series look like the smallest units, but if anyone knows of other good ones (or reasons to avoid a particular one) I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!
Need more info...what engine...what trans...what clutch...etc...?

Andrew
Old 01-25-2017, 05:14 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by AdmiralSenn

Thanks!
Exactly, need more details. There are plenty of compact concentric slaves around whether OEM or aftermarket. But yes the OEM GM slave can be shortened by quite a bit and by many ways

But if you arent bolting it to a GM based transmission...doesnt really seem like a lot of point using the GM slave ?

Quick Reply: What's the thinnest hydraulic throwout assembly?