Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Anyone pulling their trans right now?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 02:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Anyone pulling their trans right now?

Anyone pulling their transmission out right now? Specifically out of a 93-02 fbody...manual.

Can you measure the ground the from rail height that you have it for pulling the trans out for me real quick?

Trying to see how high the vehicle needs to be to get the trans out. I've had mine out a half dozen times by jacking it to the moon but I'd rather not have to do that anymore.

http://www.carguygarage.com/racerportablepi.html

These get the wheels 14in of the ground, with 4.5 inches of ground clearance that's roughly 18in to the bottom of the trans with the tranny jack under it I'm trying to imagine how close that is going to be.

Last edited by Cthulu; 03-07-2017 at 03:08 PM.
Old 03-09-2017, 12:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you remove the trans before removing the bell housing it drastically reduces the space you need.

I can not specifically tell you, I did the a4 swap and needed every inch to slide the a4 trans out because I couldn't remove the bell housing

Couldn't you just measure the height of the t56 to see how much ground clearance you need?
Old 03-09-2017, 12:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just pulled mine. We actually raised the jack stands because we needed more room to move under the car, not so much the issues with getting the trans out. The 6 speed is fairly flat once you take it off the bellhousing. I think the front of my car has jackstands under the subframes (by the tiedown loops near the firewall) and they are 6 ton stands. They are extended about 4 clicks from "all the way down". That was plenty of room for the transmission, but less room for us to do the work under it. The rear has stands under the axle and is roughly level with the front. I can try to take a measurement tonight.

Quick Reply: Anyone pulling their trans right now?