Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

High pitched whine in sixth

Old 02-27-2017, 12:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Default High pitched whine in sixth

Before I tore my car apart, my trans used to emit a high pitched whine while in sixth gear. From 55-70 the noise is quite noticeable, especially if I touched the shift ****, once I hit about 75 the noise is either gone or drowned out by road noise/exhaust.

I know bearings typically let out a growl, I'm wondering if something happened to sixth that would cause a whine?
Old 02-27-2017, 05:08 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Loose 5-6 cluster gear on mainshaft is a strong possibility.
When you tore the car apart, did you tear the transmission apart?
If yes, did the 5-6 gear come off without use of a puller?
Old 02-27-2017, 06:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

I haven't torn the trans apart yet. Figured I have enough parts laying around my garage at the moment lol.

I'm debating between trying to rebuild it myself (has 170k on it) or sending it off to Tick to have them to a stage 1 or 2 rebuild.
Old 03-09-2017, 12:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

5th and 6th have finer teeth on them and I always found them to make a light "whistling" noise. Putting a load on the shifter can make it worse. Using a B&M shifter seems to make it a little worse (solid stick and mounting? Not sure). And a solid shifter cup bushing (bronze) is likely to make it worse (I'll let you know when I get mine back together).
Old 03-11-2017, 03:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have an MGW shifter, so I know it's transmitting more noise into the cabin due to the lack of rubber around the shift stick.

Out of curiosity, if it's due to the 5-6 cluster being loose on the shaft, wouldn't 5th have the same issue?
Old 03-11-2017, 09:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, if a loose fit were the cause, 5th would also be a noise concern. However, the loose fit of the OD spool gear is more attributable to a vibration. A vibration that may also come with a whine/ light mesh noise.
If its just noise, I think the isolation, or lack there of, is the cause. The fact its more / only in 6th may be due to the 6th mesh being closer to ( right under) the shifter housing. Add a thin rubber sheet between the shifter stem and the stick ( if there is a joint- later B&M s don't have them) also, check for a torn body to shifter boot as well.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: High pitched whine in sixth