Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Sequential Shifter and/or Dog Box for a C5Z?

Old 03-14-2017, 02:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sequential Shifter and/or Dog Box for a C5Z?

Anyone on here have experience with either a sequential shifter (like the S1 Sequential push-pull setup) and/or a dog box gear set in their trans? Really want to do both on my C5Z, far cheaper than a full LG sequential, but still would be pretty entertaining.

I know I know its not the same, doesnt auto-blimp the throttle and cut spark for flat footed upshifts and what not, but still could be very cool if you could pull it together for the right price...

Just curious if anyone has any experience on here with any of it. (In a C5 or any other car even. Curious how a dog box would be in general)
Old 03-14-2017, 06:19 PM
FormerVendor

Take a look at the link below regarding PPG Sequential Gear Boxes.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...rsion-t56.html

The reason I bring this specific company up is because McLeod Will be distributing these in the near distant future as soon as we can get pricing and Marketing photos in place. Keep an eye on mcleodracing.com for future website updates.
Old 03-15-2017, 03:58 PM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by nskyline34
Anyone on here have experience with either a sequential shifter (like the S1 Sequential push-pull setup) and/or a dog box gear set in their trans? Really want to do both on my C5Z, far cheaper than a full LG sequential, but still would be pretty entertaining.

I know I know its not the same, doesnt auto-blimp the throttle and cut spark for flat footed upshifts and what not, but still could be very cool if you could pull it together for the right price...

Just curious if anyone has any experience on here with any of it. (In a C5 or any other car even. Curious how a dog box would be in general)
And what is the right price for you ?

Realistically, for a proper sequential you're in the $15-20k ballpark.

And sometimes ratio choices are not great.

The Sequential shifter is only out for stick in the box setups so far, and lets face it....unproven as there doesnt seem to be any real feedback out there from users.

Obviously any flat shift or blip strategies ( which are external control features via ecu or whatever ) will work better with a proper dog engagement setup than a synchro shift mech, and to work well need proper controls in place. Again more cost.

As for whether a dog or synchro is better etc.....depends entirely what you're using the car for and how you drive. For a road car that gets driven a lot.....tedious.
Synchros are just nice. Buy a Magnum.
Old 03-15-2017, 04:57 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the replies fellas.

I know its really easy to find something in the $15K and up range, but I'm curious if you can get 80% of the performance gains for around $5k.

All I'm thinking is basically a sequential shifter, a set of dog gears, and it wouldnt be hard to make a crude auto-blimp setup with an arduino and a couple micro switches.

Also I'm NOT thinking a drop in unit. Torn apart many automatic transmissions and a few manuals - not worried about doing the work, but not sure if there is a sequential shifter (go from an H-pattern to a push/pull) that will work in a 'vette?

Also the car is realistically 80% track and 20% street use. If its driven on the street its because my DD is broken (yes, my track car is more reliable haha) or if I want to hoon around on a sunny day.

Anyone on here have experience with dog gears in their trans and how they shift at *almost* WOT? (just a quick slight lift off the throttle to shift)
Old 03-15-2017, 05:05 PM
9 Second Club

The S1 guys may end up making something...but at present, nope.

And given that S1 shifter is around USD$2100 or thereabouts ( +postage, taxes if applicable, and gear position sensor extra etc ) Not sure how you're getting dog gears and the shifter for less than $5k.

You could maybe have your own faceplated within that budget though

And a blip for downshifts needs to know you're wishing to downchange. Which is a little awkward with a H pattern.
Upshift a little easier as you can implement a cut based on any shift action ( above certain thresholds )

As long as you always select the correct gear without issue...then flat shifting ( with appropriate cuts ) can work very well.
If you have a habit of going from say 2-1 instead of 2-3 at full throttle.....it's not so nice. Hence I stopped trying lol.

Obviously a sequential mechanism would remove all that risk, and with suitable controls allow proper closed loop shift cuts, instead of basic open look timed cut.

Or there is that Mastershift thing which can control the shifts....aint getting it for $5 though. I think that alone is already over £5k.
Old 03-15-2017, 05:10 PM
9 Second Club

If you were prepared to work out linkage adaptors etc...SQS makes a "universal" shift setup. Still not cheap and would operate cables, you'd then need to adapt to your box.
This would be more aimed at flappy paddles than a shift lever.

http://www.sqsracing.com/produkt/297...da-ford-toyota
Old 03-20-2017, 05:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Billy - what else can you share with us regarding pricing? Because you are a larger manufacturer with a big distribution network, will the cost come down?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sequential Shifter and/or Dog Box for a C5Z?